Clunk Click - Non Mercedes but well known on here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

My lovely 3.5 V6 24v Pajero (yes the one that was rescued from certain death by Carat 3.6) every now and again I turn the ignition to start and I get a resounding click but nothing else. Then if I turn the key again I sometimes get a loud buzzing from the passenger side dash. I presume that the latter is the fuel relay not fully engaging as this is where it is located.

The car has:

1 new battery that is well maintained with new + / - leads and terminals.
All earth points cleaned and checked with good wiring.

1 New fuel relay - It does the same on the old relay.
1 New starter motor - fitted by Simon

The starter motor wiring and connectors (known weak spot) have been re-crimped and cleaned.

So basically I am thinking that I have almost everything I should have done to get to the bottom of this?

A suggestion is that it may well be the ignition barrel contacts where the loom plugs into the ignition barrel? I believe that these are wiper contacts that are made when the key is turned.

Before I start removing the ignition switch (this is a faff) does anybody have any other suggestions?

It will do this at random on both keys and whether the car is hot or cold. Usually removing the key and giving it a wiggle will see it start first time again. This is not proven and could just be what it is. My worry is that this is waiting fail when I am at my most vulnerable. Facing downhill against a wall or worse when Mrs M is driving.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Relay contact chatter is often the result of inadequate voltage to the relay coil where it has to pull in an armature against a spring [ normally open] This would indicate that a voltage drop is occuring in the circuit supplying the coil which might again point to the ignition/starter switch. One test would be put a meter across the relay coil contact and earth and measure the voltage when you operate the starter/ignition switch any sign of fluctuations or voltage drop should be viewed with suspicion??
The other option [ temporary or permanent] is simply to wire a new starter button [ suitably fused 12 volt supply] supplying the relay armature. If this solves the problem you have a dodgy ignition switch and a possible solution without changing it??

Graeme

This is good thinking and may be a good reason for me to buy a race start button ;^)

In the interest of keeping it stock for now I shall try and clean up the contacts first. I think I may even be able to buy a new contact ring.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom