Clunk from drivetrain when slowing down...any ideas ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vijilants

MB Enthusiast
Car
W205 C43 AMG
Hi Folks,

On my W202 C230k Auto, when slowing down to a halt or slowing down to take a speed hump, I am getting a clunk sound and it sounds like it is coming from the gearbox / propshaft area. It has that feeling as though there is some play occuring in some area.

I doesn't happen every time, but 70% of the time, especially notoceable when the car is still cold.

Any ideas ?

It's probably one of the propshaft couplings.

I had this on my old C230K, at around 80K miles.

The old coupling was well and truly shot - you could wiggle the holes in the rubber where the bolts go through about 1/2" side to side.

Basically, as the box changes down from 2nd to 1st (or maybe 3rd to 2nd), the slack in the drivertrain causes the clunk.

Get it checked out on a ramp - from memory the couplings are fairly cheap - something like £20-40.

Fitting is straightforward, just about 1/2 dozen bolts.

Will

Propshaft U'J's , centre bearing/mounting, differential mountings, rear subframe front mounts,worn differential, engine / gearbox mounts probably in that order.

i think the couplings are about £90, i bought them for mine (invain) and returned them

Maybe MB have increased their prices recently? I certainly don't remember paying £100!

FWIW, one of my 190s had a new propshaft coupling a few weeks back, that was about £40ish from memory for the part.

Will

Desilva, Check which joint it is, when i recieved the second hand diff, i got a free propshaft coupling. if u need it let me know.

Is your car all sorted now Rage. Did you go for the same ratio diff or an upgrade.?

same ratio, and yeah its all sorted, thanks for asking.

Conclusion

Yep Will, you were right - turned out to be the coupling. Replaced and all OK now. :)

Rage thanks for your offer, but I decided to fit a new one.

Hi Vij,

Nice one - it should drive noticably better now when slowing down.

Out of interest, do you know which coupling it was that had gone - front or rear?

Did the part still cost £80-100ish?

Will

Hi Vij,

Nice one - it should drive noticably better now when slowing down.

Out of interest, do you know which coupling it was that had gone - front or rear?

Did the part still cost £80-100ish?

Will

Hi Will,

It was the front one and the part cost £100. Its now coming to a halt as it should.....super smooth.

Jay....I got it done by MB so didn't have to use use Euros.

Reason why MB did it is because it was covered under a warranty that I have on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom