clunk on start up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

recycled

MB Enthusiast
There is a definite clunk coming i think from below the engine near the dipstick area after start up. it happens once about 2mins after start up and then goes away.till the next cold start.Sounds like a little knock.
I do not know if it has to do with oil as the car is parked on a slope and there is also a rattle coming from the front which i will definitely get the mechanic to look at tommorow
does anyone know what a chain ion its way out sounds like?:confused:

Its possible. The clunk could be the chain tensioner extending against the guide rail due to a stretched chain (maybe). Once you have engine oil pressure it holds the tensioner against the chain.

so is this a worry, do i need oil change , or a new chain/tensioner?

If i have to change the chain, does that include the tensioner as well?
It also seems to be using a little bit more oil than normal.

what is also confusing is that it also happened once when hot as well after driving around for about 20ins
Does this occur all the time or only on start up.?
and does the oil pump have its own chain and tensioner?

Last edited:
what is also confusing is that it also happened once when hot as well after driving around for about 20ins
Does this occur all the time or only on start up.?
and does the oil pump have its own chain and tensioner?

The oil pump has its own chain, seen in the link
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as....418&VIN=*&CT=M&cat=19K&SID=18&SGR=015&SGN=01

The main chain
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as....418&VIN=*&CT=M&cat=19K&SID=05&SGR=045&SGN=02

I cant think of anything in the front that would knock, as soon as the pressure built up the tensioner may move a touch, but it cant move that far is it has a built in staircase ratchet so the it is never that far from the chain, the rattle could be the chain, but it could also be the front idler ass; for the Aux belt or the damper for the same.

I cant see how the chains and associated parts could rattle or knock when warm, but the idler could depending on the alternator load

The damper is a well known item to cause a rattle

thanks all. i shall have them checked out anyway. correction :it is not using more oil than normal.

When chains rattle do they do that all the time, or just only on cold starts?

i think i shall subscribe to the idler under load as it seems to happen just after the fast idle calms down form cold. from say 1200rpm to 550rpm and once when it was revved very hard and the rev speed was reducing.
Where is the idler located please malcolm.
PS not rattling just me hearing things ,but there is a definite knock on cold starts.
i have turned it around so that the oil sump is leaning towards the engine and the oil is on tap. see if that will help on the next cold start or the missus will have no car

right malcolm this is definitely coming from the engine, as soon as the fast idle dies down, there is a definite thump/clunk. sounds mechanical as well.
sounds scary too.
so i shall rule out the idler and hope for the best tomorrow.
anyone experienced this clunk? just after startup from cold

Last edited:
ian is there any how to on lifting the rocker cover, and how should the chain look like?
I have never seen one before so how do i know if it is worn/stretched or needs changing?
could it be mounts as well? or maybe injectors.
As i can not replicate it at a garage as it only happens on cold starts it will be interesting to hear what the mechanic will say.
maybe i shall push the car there.:D

Last edited:
Have you considered engine mounts to be the probelm?

Can you record the noise for us?

Having in the last two week gone through to threads with a 202 that damper was making the clonking and the idler the rattle.

As Olly says has one of the engine mounts bottomed out, I do not think that this can be within the engine.

not sure about the mounts. i just thought it should happen all the time for mounts, but it seems to happen once and and thats it. sounds exactly like if you shut a rear door hard with a thud

Having in the last two week gone through to threads with a 202 that damper was making the clonking and the idler the rattle.

As Olly says has one of the engine mounts bottomed out, I do not think that this can be within the engine.

will the damper make it all the time?, and with the mounts is it only at start up?
Sorry to go on but the missus is not giving and feedback and i can not seem to feel any adverse driving conditions when i drive it.
i cannot swear it is from the engine though as in there ,you hear all kinds all i know is that it seems to be from the dipstick/lower end near the sump if you face the car.
how long does it take to check the chain/take the cover off.
i feel like getting dirty on this one.

Last edited:
narrowed it down to the exhaust manifold cover area. keep you guys posted

narrowed it down to the exhaust manifold cover area. keep you guys posted

If the engine mounts have gone,then the exhaust can be Fouling or hitting something.

Please forget about the inside of the engine, slip the rocker cover off if you must, but you will not be any better off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom