Clunking noise on W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bilkoboy

Car
E270 cdi
Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this irritating noise on our otherwise lovely car? It went in to MB dealership (who were very helpful and pleasant ) to have suspension looked at and everything was fine apart from replacement of rubber(?) part on the front arms. I have only had a quick look underneath but unless there was a big arrow and label telling me what was wrong I'd be struggling to be honest. Any ideas would be most welcome! Thanks

Under what circumstances does it clunk? Front or Rear wheel over bump? Take up of drive?

Sorry for not replying sooner, just been away for a few days. The clunking happens at low speeds over uneven road surfaces and appears to be from the area around the front suspension. I had wondered whether it might be to do with the plastic "covers" which protect the under part of the engine bay if they might be loose or not fitted properly. The clunking isn't severe just very annoying.

Common thing seems to be ball joints, not that expensive to replace, any independant should do them. I've had them done on mine, both sides, stopped the noise.

had the ball joint replaced on 1 side at dealers and improved car in general but the rattle/ clunk is still there which is what's puzzling us.

Mine does exactly the same. Been to the dealers for checking and nothing found even after me pushing the 'ball joint' theory. Most noticible when crossing perpendicular to shallow speedhumps. Cross at an angle and the noise doesn't. (iykwim)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom