Clunking!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jkj

Car
E220cdi....& E320cdi Avantgarde estates
My elderly E220cdi estate, '54 reg. 160K miles, has developed a clunking noise, appears to sound centralish, which my regular garage can't identify. Links, bushes etc have all been checked and found ok. No discernable cause has been found under the car....anybody experienced similar or have ideas to follow up?? Helpful suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks.

Rear subframe bushes/ differential mounts or further forward propshaft central bearing mount or gearbox to cross member flexible mount. My money would be on the propshaft central bearing mount its often obscured by a heatshield to protect it from exhaust heat. The bearing is mounted in a circular rubber mount held to the underside within a U bracket. When the rubber mount gives up it allows the propshaft to thrash about a bit especially under drive takeup =acceleration/de-acceleration

Rear subframe bushes/ differential mounts or further forward propshaft central bearing mount or gearbox to cross member flexible mount. My money would be on the propshaft central bearing mount its often obscured by a heatshield to protect it from exhaust heat. The bearing is mounted in a circular rubber mount held to the underside within a U bracket. When the rubber mount gives up it allows the propshaft to thrash about a bit especially under drive takeup =acceleration/de-acceleration
Thanks for that Graeme...I'll start with the prop mount & go from there.

Hi, i have started to get a droning noise on my 05 viano.. Sounds centralish... Sound like a frickin airplane in cruise.lol did you sort your prob? If so was it an easy job or did you get your garage to do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom