Cluster/odometer display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KevinCT

Car
A140 W168
Hi. First post on here and not found any previous posts on here about this. I wonder if anyone here can answer this query.
I have a 2002 A140 W168 and the miles display has faded so much its impossible to read now. I am wondering if I can just purchase a second hand entire panel, as in display with rev counter, MPH, petrol and lcd display and just replace the entire unit (due to age of vehicle it looks cheaper to do this rathe than repairing it as nearly twice the cost)
I have had several mixed answers, such as it wont work as it controls the codification of the key, it will need coding to the car, yes its a straight forward swap and other answers but never got 2 the same.
Also second question is... Would the current miles registered to the vehicle be lost when swapped? this sounds stupid but some mechanics said its registered on the cars board and not on the odometer which sounded daft to me, but I know nothing about this matter hence why I decided to ask you guys in the hope of a little light. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 8
2nd hand unit could have issues too.
Cartronix in Surrey (amongst others) can repair them and guarantee it.

I dont know the design of your cluster but could it be as simple as a blown bulb?

I have had several mixed answers, such as it wont work as it controls the codification of the key, it will need coding to the car, yes its a straight forward swap and other answers but never got 2 the same.
Also second question is... Would the current miles registered to the vehicle be lost when swapped? this sounds stupid but some mechanics said its registered on the cars board and not on the odometer which sounded daft to me, but I know nothing about this matter hence why I decided to ask you guys in the hope of a little light. Thanks in advance.
The mileage is stored in two locations, and the mileage on the odometer will need to be 'reset' to match your mileage. MB replaced the odometer on my W168 and they incorrectly set the mileage on the new odometer such that it was 20 miles less than when I brought the car in to them!

Regarding coding of the odometer to the car - I have heard about this too, however there is a function in the Star developer's mode to 'clone' the data on an existing ECU to another ECU and I have always been curious if this cloning function will work on an used ECU?

Try a Google search.

Earlier BMW's and Landrovers suffered the same issues, there are people out there that can repair them.

Some will even do it while you wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom