Cluster replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the prince

Car
2001 CLK 230k
Just wanting some advice. My instrument cluster is faulty with the usual clock and gear selection / outside temp guage pixelated (blank). The repair seems either tricky or expensive, so i'm wondering if i can just simply replace the unit with a working used spare cluster. If so would the replacement unit require programming or are these just plug and play as it were. These are available for around £40 in working order which is a lot less than having mine repaired.

Any advice. Also if i do replace what are the implications for replacing with a unit with a different mileage. I.e do DVLA need notifying or just a note in vehicle service book. I've bought cars in the past that have had clock replacements, but usually the replacement unit starts at zero. Any advice useful.

On a previous E-Class, I opted for a used replacement cluster which was faulty.
When I installed the replacement, I had to pay to have the mileage adjusted, so replacing, even with a second hand unit costs time and money.

I would go the DIY repair route. I'm sorry I can't remember the supplier for the repair kit, but it's available online and only costs around £15.

I have sausage fingers, but managed the repair on the cluster on my current E-Class.
It takes around an hour and a half to complete, and as long as you follow the instructions that come with the kit, it is really quite an easy (if at times fiddly) job.

Before.

29thJune2013037.jpg

After.

26thJuly2013003.jpg

Tip - Make a note of where the needles align.
As you can see from the images, I wrongly assumed the resting place was at the lowest point.
So presently, when I'm traveling at 30mph, I'm actually doing 33-34mph. Must get around to changing that one day...

On a previous E-Class, I opted for a used replacement cluster which was faulty.
When I installed the replacement, I had to pay to have the mileage adjusted, so replacing, even with a second hand unit costs time and money.

I would go the DIY repair route. I'm sorry I can't remember the supplier for the repair kit, but it's available online and only costs around £15.

I have sausage fingers, but managed the repair on the cluster on my current E-Class.
It takes around an hour and a half to complete, and as long as you follow the instructions that come with the kit, it is really quite an easy (if at times fiddly) job.

Before.

29thJune2013037.jpg

After.

26thJuly2013003.jpg

Tip - Make a note of where the needles align.
As you can see from the images, I wrongly assumed the resting place was at the lowest point.
So presently, when I'm traveling at 30mph, I'm actually doing 33-34mph. Must get around to changing that one day...

Thanks Ringway.
I have been pondering the repair myself as i'm 'fairly' competent with electrical installations stuff, but I was put off by some of the posts from people saying their cluster came up with 'Instrument Cluster failure - see main agent' kind of messages which made me feel apprehensive. Some even said that the car won't run if the cluster is damaged or develops another fault in the repair. Some would say oh it's only a clock or temp gauge, but to me i want it to work, if at all possible, without too much hassle

Now mechanical stuff, i did my break discs and pads last week and feel if i can unbolt/unscrew it, i can put it back together, so i feel confident, but this one had me slightly concerned.

Well your tips and informed knowledge from having done the job has me thinking that it's worth a try. Worst case scenario, i've been told by a seller that the chip recording the mileage can be swapped from old/existing unit to the replacement unit if necessary. Incidentally the unit i saw for sale had a similar mileage within 300 miles of my current faulty unit.

Cheers

Of course anything is possible, but personally I have not heard of that happening for a cluster repair. I have done 3 so far and as above, allow 1h30 for a nice clean job. If your concerned at all, then just send it off for a repair and let them take the risks.

Just seen old post. I got these and tried the fix but couldnt get it to bond properly so sent the unit back to them and they fixed it for me. Well worth it as a year later still working fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom