Clutch Burning / Worn out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jryans10

Car
Mercedes-Benz A140
Hi,

I'm just wondering, can pressing your clutch all the way in burn your clutch or wear it out? Only my friend told me that holding it at the bite for a long time burns the clutch, but putting the clutch all the way in doesn't. I always thought it was putting the clutch all the way down for long moments that would burn the clutch.

Thanks.

I'm just wondering, can pressing your clutch all the way in burn your clutch or wear it out? Only my friend told me that holding it at the bite for a long time burns the clutch, but putting the clutch all the way in doesn't. I always thought it was putting the clutch all the way down for long moments that would burn the clutch.

My first thought was "what's a clutch?":D

(This is a MB forum).

Your friend's more right than you are.

It is at the biting point that the clutch will wear, fully depressing the pedal will disengage the clutch so wont wear it out.

Many thanks for the information.

I never knew this hehe. I always hated being in traffic and leaving the clutch down when stopped so I had this habbit where I would always just go into neutral (pretty much coasting) then just selecting 1st when I needed to move.

At least now I know I can use clutch control properly and not be scared.

Thanks! :)

I tended to do that technique through laziness so wouldn't have to depress the clutch when reaching a stop.

Then I solved the issue by buying an automatic.

:thumb:

Leaving the pedal depressed wears out the clutch bearing.

Just drive it like you were taught. That is the best way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom