Clutch conundrum.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

esox

`Ello folks,

When a clutch wears - or is nearing the end of it`s life - does the `bite` point (the point at which the clutch engages/disengages) move up or down relative to pedal movement?

ie: do you have to push the pedal down further to disengage or does it disengage with less pedal travel?

I used to know this through previous experience of replacing a clutch or two in the past, but have forgotten. Damn my memory....

It depends on how the clutch is actuated. If it's via a cable the bite point will change as the friction disc wears (and the cable stretches). A hydraulic one will keep the same bite point as they're effectively self adjusting.

It`s hydraulic, and on a Transit Connect...

The bite-point on this van has always felt quite low (it bites very early when releasing the pedal) and the clutch pedal travel short, but just recently it requires a full press to disengage the clutch (does not feel like it`s disengaging fully as some resistance to selecting gears is now evident).

I`m going to see if bleeding the fluid will help..

Sounds more like hydraulics to me as well.

Usually when a clutch is on it's way out the biting point gets higher up the pedal travel until it's right at the top and the clutch starts to slip.

Bleeding the system may help in your case, though I'd be interested in where the air came from in the first place... Leaky slave or master cylinders perhaps, or a loose connector/damaged pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom