Clutch destroyed after 200 miles - Warranty refused!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's reading stuff like this,that makes me happy I didn't buy a MB!
To refuse a warranty claim on a clutch after 200 miles is a disgrace.

I have to say, being on this forum has actually put me off buying a MB. The dealers are a joke.

Well the first of no doubt many emails has been sent (war and peace). Now let's sit and wait. Any bets on how long it takes them to get back to me with a meaningful response?

This is indeed shocking. Contact the Citizens Advice Bureau in the first instance.

For what it's worth, I think I'd do the following...

Without hesitating, I would send a letter to the Dealer Principle and most senior person you can find in MB UK - I have the name somewhere - and politely ask that they look into the situation on your behalf to ensure that your money is refunded to you promptly, asking that they contact you in writing within 7 days to confirm that the matter is resolved.

If that doesn't work, then a follow-up letter stating that you have given both the dealer and MBUK several opportunities to resolve the matter, and that if it is not resolved to your satisfaction within a further 7 days, then with regret you will have no little choice but to excercise your legal rights.

Always post letters by recorded (signed for) delivery.

To be honest, they have changed all the clutch parts, release bearing, flywheel, clutch cover,etc. Not just a worn out clutch disc.

I do hope you asked for, or were given the old items?

Did you consent to having all those items replaced?

It is possible for a driver to destroy the friction material in 200 miles, but we are talking a £50 part.

That is odd, possible to do, but odd. To be honest, even if your wife did somehow ride the clutch till it gave up the ghost, the dealer would have considered the customer loyalty angle and ensured you got a replacement with a huge discount or even for free depending on who good a customer you are.

They would have also offered to show you the clutch and its housing where you would have seen it shredded to bits with lots of dust to show that it was abused. If it just failed then you would have seen just a cracked in half or a few bits clutch.

I hope it all works out well for you in the end.

Thanks. The old items are being securely stored at the dealership in case the CS department ask any further details. I had the option of taking them home.

I had a meeting in which I looked over the old parts, they were completely a totally shredded and the main plate had 'blued' due to excesive heat. This wasn't simple wearing, it pretty much tore itself apart.

I'd have been having serious words with the dealer principal, the opening lines being "Is this a joke, a misunderstanding, or do you genuinely believe I'm a f*cking idiot?"

Absolutely shocking!

I wouldn't have paid them but can almost understand why you have. They really need to sort this out for you - it's a brand new car!

Even if it was a used car, you'd expect it to be covered considering you've done less than 200 miles and then having a clutch failure.

Is the dealer a MB owned one or part of a franchised group? As stated above make sure you send any letters by Special Delivery / Signed for.

Don't give up - Mercedes should be looking after you, make it clear that you bought your wife's car because of the good experience you've had with your E Class and that this whole experience is damaging your perception of the brand etc...

I am amazed they did all this work with you assuming it was warranty work and then presented you with a bill... Did you authorise them to do the works at your expense or was this only brought up at the end?

Thanks. The old items are being securely stored at the dealership in case the CS department ask any further details. I had the option of taking them home.

I had a meeting in which I looked over the old parts, they were completely a totally shredded and the main plate had 'blued' due to excesive heat. This wasn't simple wearing, it pretty much tore itself apart.

Right, well the bluing indicates very high temperatures due to clutch slip. The friction material possibly got so hot the resin that bonds it degraded fraying the friction material.

It is possible for this to happen in a very short distance (my dear mum had her car get stuck in 3rd after the gear linkage broke, she drove the last 2 or so miles in 3rd, slipping the clutch to pull away, and totally fried the clutch plate).

Hope they are able to get to the bottom of what caused this, and reimburse your outlay.

OMFG. I'm lost for words. I'm very worried that I've made the wrong decision ordering my C63.

I really hope this gets sorted soon or I'll start checking what's involved in cancelling my order.

I am amazed they did all this work with you assuming it was warranty work and then presented you with a bill... Did you authorise them to do the works at your expense or was this only brought up at the end?

Did all the work, then Germany came back with the decision that it couldn't be done under warranty. The dealership were just as shocked as they thought it was just a tick-box process.

Sounds like the dealership should've waited for the go-ahead from Germany before starting the work. I wonder where you stand if you gave the ok to do the work based on the dealership telling you it WAS warranty? Maybe they're liable to cover the cost as they misrepresented the situation.... just a thought...

Could you confirm its a conventional manual gearbox + clutch car please and whether it was supplied new to you.

Sounds like the dealership should've waited for the go-ahead from Germany before starting the work. I wonder where you stand if you gave the ok to do the work based on the dealership telling you it WAS warranty? Maybe they're liable to cover the cost as they misrepresented the situation.... just a thought...

Exactly this. If you didn't expressly ask for the work to be carried out, where does that leave things. Sadly the bill has been settled. :(

^ Agreed. I'm not sure I'd have paid that, under the circumstances the OP has outlined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom