Clutch pedal sticking down!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Motard

Car
92 250 TD
This is just awful! A few days ago the clutch pedal on my W124 250TD stuck down though the clutch wasn't engaged. I hooked my toe around it and pulled it back, depressed it again and all was normal. It continued to do this mainly in selecting first gear. Didn't do it again for a couple of days then it became really bad again. It seems to happen after being parked in the sun. Anyone got any ideas?

Bob

taking a stab in the dark here but I'd suggest that the fault is going to be with the slave or master cylinder. sounds like the seals in one of them are on the way out and if I was looking for a likely culprit I'd be blaming the slave. check them both for any signs of leakage (you may have to slide the rubber gaiters out of the way

try bleeding the system and replacing the hydraulic fluid that may help and will be a whole lot easier than removing the cylinders

Get a friend to press the pedal whilst you see if the clutch release mechanism is working. that should help ascertain whether it's the master cylinder (attached to the pedal) or the slave on the gearbox.

HTH

Andy

Thanks for the advice Andy. Have to go away for a couple of weeks on Saturday but I will have a look at it when I get back. Trouble is it doesn't always malfunction so it may be difficult to determine the problem.

Thanks again,

Bob

Finally got around to fitting a new slave cylinder, hoping this will cure the problem. I won't bore all and sundry with the story about fitting it but there were no skinned knuckles and not too many f words. The bleeding procedure was a method advised by a MB mechanic and very different (and cheaper) from the what Haynes manual suggests.
If anyone would like the details PM me.

Bob

Hasn't changed anything, the pedal still sticks down. Bought a master cylinder this afternoon and will fit it tomorrow. This is a known problem and according to MB first change the slave, then the master cylinder then the clutch. If changing the master doesn't work the car will be in the auction on Saturday.

Bob

Fitted the master cylinder and now everything is OK. Take heed you owners of pre 95 manual changers, this is a common problem. Prepare yourself for it by hanging upside down like a bat for long periods.

Bob

Thanks Bob, don't know when mine had a clutch last, can't find out but am waiting for it to go, it kinda feels a bit spongy but not slipping yet,am keeping fingers crossed.At least it saved it from the auction ??? Did the cds help any??

Hi Rob,

My clutch didn't slip at all, just the pedal sticking down was all.
Haven't used the CDs at all, can't figure out how to access anything other than randomly. Did you ever figure it out? Did you receive the CD blanks I sent? Please let me know.

Bob

Hi Bob, no i haven't worked them out completely only that i go to the index and search for what i want,bit of a job to find,although when i do its very informative,not really as good as i expected them to be, and no ,haven't received cds but not to worry,they are on the house. mind you our post is not as good these days,keep getting part timers delivering and most of them can't read, wrong address etc. All the Rob

Thanks very much Rob, ours can probably read but they are on strike most of the time! That may be stuck in Paris but they should get there eventually

Bob

Motard said:
This is just awful! A few days ago the clutch pedal on my W124 250TD stuck down though the clutch wasn't engaged. I hooked my toe around it and pulled it back, depressed it again and all was normal. It continued to do this mainly in selecting first gear. Didn't do it again for a couple of days then it became really bad again. It seems to happen after being parked in the sun. Anyone got any ideas?

Bob
I've got this problem too so I will change the master cylinder and see if it solves it cheers all.

pepper&boulou said:
I've got this problem too so I will change the master cylinder and see if it solves it cheers all.

Alex,

I changed both of mine, the slave and the master, they aren't expensive so I advise you to do the same. Be careful though, my bl**dy head gasket went shortly afterwards!
Contact me if you want any help.

Bob

Motard said:
Alex,

I changed both of mine, the slave and the master, they aren't expensive so I advise you to do the same. Be careful though, my bl**dy head gasket went shortly afterwards!

Bob
Bob is now the resident guru at head swaps and engine removal by email and PM :D

Motard said:
Alex,

Bob
Well Bob I had them both changed today after a very embarising incident yesterday. After the merc sailed through its MOT the mechanic I use said not to change the cylinders as he could not find anything wrong with them ,he even took the old girl for a long run ,NOTHING .so as I said yesterday I decided to take my 76 year old mother out shopping, fine, on the return journey in the middle of a new contraflow, in stop start traffic, my mercedes sticks in 3rd,I managed to get it out of third, but I could not get it into any gear the result traffic jam, and I with the help of following motorists pushed the great lump 1/4 of a mile to the end of the road works uphill too. I swear if I had had a hammer and the energy left I would have smashed it to bits. any way its had both the master & slave cylinders changed and I'am £276.46 poorer. So I will see if its cured the clutch pedal thing ,touch wood I hope so .If that hasn't worked it's a new clutch next. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Last edited:
Alex,

Sorry man, I feel for you. Mine has been so close to being taken away with a forklift lol. Your troubles should be over now though.

Bob

pepper&boulou said:
I swear if I had had a hammer and the energy left I would have smashed it to bits. any way its had both the master & slave cylinders changed and I'am £276.46 poorer. So I will see if its cured the clutch pedal thing ,touch wood I hope so .If that hasn't worked it's a new clutch next. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Ouch £276.... thats biiiiig money for that job, what component of that was labour?

When I did had mine done I think it came out at about half that and I thought that was steep and regretted not doing it myself.

Motard said:
You are right Sp!ke, I think the bits cost me around £60

Bob
The mechanic who does the car for me had to use OEM parts as his usual supplier was sold out, he told him he sells 10 sets of cylinders a week.I wasn't too bothered about the expence I just wanted it fixed once a forall .Anyway it's going to be insured as a 2nd car on a low mileage policy this time round and my Scenic as the main vehicle.That will save a few hundred quid. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom