Clutchless supercharger pulley, Yey or ney??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Myfirstamg

Car
E55 AMG W211
Whilst in the middle of my head gasket change ive noticed the supercharger bearing is a little rumbly. I know the bearings are easy enough to change and relatively cheap, But was looking at a clutchless pulley from "fabtech" being a little smaller at 82mm also boosts upto 12.5-13psi.
Is it a good idea to upgrade with this? Or does the unit have to be clutched?

If one fitted a clutchless pulley wouldn't one need to have the ECU remapped, to allow for the constantly spinning 'charger?

Pro's
Immediate power delivery and no delay in torque.
Perfect for quarter mile etc.

Cons
Stock cooling system will struggle.
Data logging required to monitor IAT
No ecu safety to disengage sc

Described as holding back wild horses, me i personally like the 55 the way it is i.e. pipe and slippers to devil grin in the blink of an eye.

The major problem with the FSP is the final safety feature built in to the ECU to disconnect the sc safegaurding the engine.

Put it this way to all 55 owners how many here have either had a duff or poorly performing IC pump or known somebody who has???

Without monitoring and taking action

:eek:BOOM:eek:

Put it this way to all 55 owners how many here have either had a duff or poorly performing IC pump or known somebody who has???

Without monitoring and taking action

:eek:BOOM:eek:

Not me, but I know a man who has:D
Everyone with this engine who has complained of heat issues has ended up changing the pump to my knowledge.

Eurocharged Or MSL
Clutched id say unless you are doing loads of cooling mods

you will need a map

or you could just replace the bearing in your original one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom