Coach accident - possible drink driving charge!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apparently the coach hit the kerb and rolled.
Shocking that a professional driver would drive over the limit, but he's been arrested.

You have to wonder about NE... Not too long ago one of their coaches overturned near Heathrow, that driver got arrested too...

I must say that I often think their buses drive like nutters, probably on a tight schedule, but still :crazy:.

The common link seems to be the DD busses.

They had another one crash on a motrorway slip road in january and all of the DD were safety checked, apparently no faults.

Probably just driver errors, mind you think about how far they travel in a year. Say 8hr shift, at 50mph average, 40miles per day 245 days a year= 100k miles per year per driver.

EDIT

I wonder how many passengers were wearing seatbelts. Falling through the windows is a common problem.
it doesn't take a genius to work out what happens then..

Last edited:
they only drive 4hrs shift at a time.
We use them regularly and have an account with them and never encountered any problems.
More reliable than the trains as well.
it may just have been an accident but as we know the prosecutors are always keen to pin something on somebody so i think it may be better to wait for the results of the enquiry.

The common link seems to be the DD busses.
:eek: :eek: I hate these abbreviations. It took me a couple of days to figure out RK meant Registered Keeper? Does DD stand for Double Decker? If so I'm even more confused. What about Drink Driving?

John the confused

Sometimes theese TLA's are tricky to work out I agree.

Sorry John, DD was for double decker busses, they seem to be a common link in the recent accidents. probably due to more being used and obviously they will be less stable as far as roll over goes.

The latest news I heard was the driver is now to be charged with Drink driving and Dangerous driving.

Last edited:
The latest news I heard was the driver is now to be charged with Drink driving and Dangerous driving.
:D :) Another DD Dangerous Driving :D

Was this last bus a double decker? :confused: :eek:

I spent my whole working life using abbreviations and it used to frustrate me no end trying to keep abreast of all the meanings :)

Regards
John

Interesting: Note the bit about seat belts... Lesson there..
I fear that we will eventually see even more legislation about seat belts, but how on earth can it be enforced? Will it be down to the driver? Will the driver be held responsible for ALL the passengers complying with any legislation?

I wonder how the insurance companies will handle this incident? Will they take into account the fact that seat-belts were available? Will the passengers that failed to wear belts simply say there is no law against not wearing them?

Game on,

Regards
John

The insurance company will just have to pay up as there is no requirement to wear seatbelts on a coach, just that they must be available.

Rollover coach crashes great lots of dismemberment injuries due to people falling through the smashed windows as the coach is still moving so maybe an obvious joke is off limits....;)

So if anyone travels on a coach remember...Belt Up..!

Rollover coach crashes great lots of dismemberment injuries due to people falling through the smashed windows as the coach is still moving so maybe an obvious joke is off limits....;)

So if anyone travels on a coach remember...Belt Up..!
We have a friend whose wife was badly injured when the Paddington to Plymouth train was derailed at Reading. They received horrific injuries from being dragged along the ground. The train was on its side, the window smashed and thier body was dragged over the ground surface. Thankfully they never got dragged out of the coach.

Going OT (Off Topic :devil:) The insurance companies are all back pedalling. The rail companies agent refuse to pay out as the incident was not there fault and the culprit that caused the derailment was uninsured and died at the scene. The solicitors are now hoping for payments from a central fund.

John

I fear that we will eventually see even more legislation about seat belts, but how on earth can it be enforced? Will it be down to the driver? Will the driver be held responsible for ALL the passengers complying with any legislation?

Regards
John

Therese is a frequent coach service user and tells me that before the vehicle sets off the driver walks the length checking that seat belts are fastened. However once the coach is moving then many if not most of the passengers unfasten theirs and the driver has no control over it.

That doesn't alter the fact that the driver does have control over whether he drinks too much (at all) or drives too fast.

The average speed of these things on the motorway looks to have dropped since they were stopped using the outside lane but they still seem to speed at every available opportunity.

Going OT (Off Topic :devil:) The insurance companies are all back pedalling. The rail companies agent refuse to pay out as the incident was not there fault and the culprit that caused the derailment was uninsured and died at the scene. The solicitors are now hoping for payments from a central fund.

John

I can't believe I just read that...:eek:

Surely as a paying passenger you are entitled to claim from the service provider, in turn they should claim from a 3rd party.

Public Liability insurance should cover this.

Such claims can be very slow to sort. I know someone who was hit head on by a bus when on his Bike, losing part of one leg. It took ten years to get paid out.

Therese is a frequent coach service user and tells me that before the vehicle sets off the driver walks the length checking that seat belts are fastened. .

Advise her to keep her belt on and don't sit next to the window. Apparently this really does improve your survival chances.
The same advice goes for train users, although I always sit in the window seat because it's nicer.:eek:

It was him what done it!

OK so it appears the driver was over the limit. Now several questions

1. Who employed him in the first place?
2. What was the vetting procedure used in assessing his suitability for driving a long distance coach full of passengers?
3. Who checked him in as fit to drive when he boarded the bus?
4. Has the bus company got any HR staff monitoring the health and welfare of its drivers as to their continuing metal and physical abilities to drive?

In other words is the blame for this sorry situation going to all land on him or will the bus company share the culpability for the accident .

In other words is the blame for this sorry situation going to all land on him or will the bus company share the culpability for the accident .

It will land on the driver, and rightly so assuming National Express forbid drivers from driving whilst under the influence, which I'm sure they will.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom