Cobra ESD-9210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

catgate

Car
A150 Auto 2008
This device will detect X,K,Ka,V and S (radar bands ?) and also laser. It will also detect VG-2 (police operated) detection device emanations. I feel that this is enormously comforting, but I would feel infinitely more comfort if I knew just exactly what they all were and how many of them are in use (and under what conditions) in the UK. Does anyone in Mercland have any info . please? :confused:

Those are Radar bands, yes. I would steer clear. A Radar device will leave you open to Truvelo forward facing cameras and SPECS.

Radar detection is also fairly useless, although is still used by SOME mobile speed traps. Although, for the hassle of the false alarms I wouldn't bother.

Buy a GPS based device.

A GPS based device will alert you to all static cameras no matter how they operate, will alert you to common mobile traps sites and some have Laser Alerts too. Laser detection is a bit hit and miss - if you are speeing and your laser alert goes off it means you have been caught - but is still usefull - mine has gone off at speeds I could have been booked at but haven't - perhaps beecause I immediately slowed down.

I recommend a Road Angel 2 ~£350, or if you want to do a very nice professional installation a Origin B2 (costs more - but what I would go for if I were buying now).

There is some hype about Laser detection devices potentially being banned in the UK, so if this concerns you, don't buy a device with integrated Laser detection.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I have already bought, and installed (well O.K. then, stuck it on the window and plugged it in!). It seems to pick things up (even the automatic door control whilst passing Safeway). I was just curious as to what it all meant. I was also interested in your comment re 'legality'. It seems that everyone that one talks to has a different view on the legal/illegal/soon-to-be-illegal-to use/soon-to-be-legal/soon-to-be-banned/etc. I am not sure where to get reliable info. short of going to the blue light. Then they would probably breathalise me, fingerprint me and sent me to Guatanomo Bay as an enemy of the regime. I have no urge to go tear arsing about the countryside (well a C250TD estate is hardy suitable is it??) all I want to do is ensure I do not miss any warnings of speed limits. Only about six months ago a stretch or road (not far from the A1 near Wetherby) was changed from 40 to 30, but they "fiddled" with the signs. ie they removed the sign at the start of the old 40 zone but did not replace it with a 30. The bar-stewards had a field day with hand held speed cameras. All the people who lived nearby knew, but everyone else who passed through on a frequent, but irregular, basis knew were they had traditionally been accustomed to increase to 40, and were stuffed. My wife was only save by a bus pulling out in front of her as she approached what turned out to be "an officer carrying out his duty". Of course the bus driver was not pulled in for dangerous driving...he just went on his merry way.

Last edited by a moderator:
catgate said:
I have no urge to go tear arsing about the countryside (well a C250TD estate is hardy suitable is it??)

Oh, I think at least one member on here would disagree with you strongly on that !!

S.

sym said:
Oh, I think at least one member on here would disagree with you strongly on that !!

S.

Well I suppose it is a bit better than my old 190D, and, I suppose, better than my late C220D, (thanks, probably, to the auto 'box) but you must admit that it does have all the elegance and balletic grace of a Chieftain tank!!

catgate said:
Well I suppose it is a bit better than my old 190D, and, I suppose, better than my late C220D, (thanks, probably, to the auto 'box) but you must admit that it does have all the elegance and balletic grace of a Chieftain tank!!

Keep going .... I'm sure jimmy will have something to say on this soon !

S.

Sorry, didn't know you had got it already.

Well, your device is legal.

I find the best source of infomation to be http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/ - very reliable info.

I would do some reading up, as you might be able to possibly disable some of the Radar bands you detect if the equipment used by the Police in the UK doesn't use them - saving you some false alarms.

So apart fro the false alarms, you should be able to detect Gatso (the most popular) speed cameras and mobile radar and laser traps.

Just be aware that you won't be alarted about Truvelo forward faving cameras or SPECS areas.

Just be aware that you won't be alarted about Truvelo forward faving cameras or SPECS areas.

I am not sure where I have been for the last 60 years, but "Truvelo" sounds like an old motorcycle, whilst a "SPECS area" has optical connotations. Would I be better just abandoning the entire project and getting a bus pass??? I will have a look at the link you kindly provided.

Cobras are rubbish. Sell it on if youve bought it already....... its just a nice box on the windscreen with flashy lights. Its got as much chance at picking up a gatzo as my gran sitting in the car.... DON'T rely on it .. it will give you points.

Stick to Bel or Valantine if youre going to get a radar detector.

Checkout ebay for one :) you want a 990 international or a euro 550 , both made by Bel . or a valantine one.

The radar detector is just another tool in your armoury. You can tell IF a gatzo camera is on and if its worth actually slowing down for it. :eek:

Last edited:
a gatzo camera
I must now find out what a gatzo is. There was me thinking along the lines of Dame Myra Snuff "A tree is a tree is atree". Oh foolish simple fellow that I am.

catgate said:
Found out what a gatzo is. All I have to do now is master THLIRP, NADGE, SNAT and GRADDLE and the jobs cracked.

I like it, I like it ;)

My son had a Cobra. Used it for three weeks, got three points sold it to some unsuspecting truck driver for slightly more than he paid for it. Not ethical I know, but as has been previously scripted here, useless.

Ian B Walker said:
My son had a Cobra. Used it for three weeks, got three points sold it to some unsuspecting truck driver for slightly more than he paid for it. Not ethical I know, but as has been previously scripted here, useless.

Its not even useless ... its far beyond that ... try and offload it to someone :rolleyes:

A good radar detector should cost in the region of £300+ anything less than that and youve got to question how good it is....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom