Code Readers ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillian

Hi

I'm hoping someone could help me , I'm looking to buy my husband a code reader for Christmas as a stocking filler , can anyone tell me if this is one is any good http://www.doityourselfdiagnostics.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=36, the main reason that I'm contemplating buying this one is that its upgradeable and seems to cover more things than all the others i have read about , any help is much appreciated as you can imagine being a woman i know not allot about car and code readers .

Kind Regards

Firstly what car has he got - you may well need a Merc 38 pin adaptor.

P.S. Welcome (and I wish my other half would buy such practical presents).

Have a look at this thread - the one normanr bought might suit (car permitting).

Last edited:
Hello
Thank you for the fast reply

it is a C 220 2001 , i have had a quick look at the one in the links but it is not half as good , the one i have posted a link too cover trans , abs, airbag and so on , the guy in your links also sells the same tool but he wants £225.00 for one :crazy: , thats an extra £75.00 :eek: .

does my husbands car have the 38 pin ?

Hello
Thank you for the fast reply

it is a C 220 2001 , i have had a quick look at the one in the links but it is not half as good , the one i have posted a link too cover trans , abs, airbag and so on , the guy in your links also sells the same tool but he wants £225.00 for one :crazy: , thats an extra £75.00 :eek: .

does my husbands car have the 38 pin ?

Not sure. Your car is an overlap period car so could have the Mercedes 38 pin connector in the fuse/relay box in the engine bay or could have a 16 pin OBDII connector under the dashboard next to the bonnet release handle.

Can the reader in the link actually read Mercedes gearbox codes.? The reason I ask is that they are proprietory and most readers won't read them.

Edit:
Just had a look and see it's OBDII only so would require a converter cable if your car has the 38pin socket, in which case it is unlikely to read anything other than engine codes without a seperate multiplexer or breakout box.
The issue is that USA cars had to have OBDII from 1996 but UK cars didn't until much later.

Last edited:
I got the geniscan 500 and it works on my w203 c class all the fords, the lexus the renault and an array of other cars with the OBD2 connector i have used it on cars from 2000 to 2007 with no problems at all.(but it does not do the VAG range) it tells you the fault code, and can clear the engine check light and is fully upgradeable via the web, its not the star but its handy little bit of kit and good for clearing fault codes. there is a 600 model with live data and other bits. but mibe still serves me well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom