Code Readers ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Omega

Hi all,
I've never thought of getting a code reader,,,, I assumed they were too expensive for me.
My son has just bought some lesser known germanic car (BMW W-reg 318i) & I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable code readers are for his.
It made me think more about looking into it.

Obviously - as I have never used one I have no idea where to start.
Whilst I usually buy good quality tools & car bits, I have to say that I do need to watch my budget nowadays.

What are the basics that I look for in a code reader ?
Is there one that can be used on my sons car as well as mine ?

Any help / advice / recommendations appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

PS: Mods: If this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move - Ta

I just got a code reader from here cost around £60/£65 inc VAT & dely and arrived next day. Great bit of kit, simple to use and paid for itself already.
I think these folk are in Exeter.
If you just want a borrow of one and you're passing Bude you're welcome to use mine any time, though.

STRAT: What did you get in the end ? Satisfied ?

F6B: Thanks for the info & offer. That looks like a decent machine (but I suppose they all do). I've dorpped them a line, but would love to pop over to see yours work. I'm near Hayle, so not far away.
Will PM you for details.

cheers guys

PS: Can anyone tell me - definitively - where the connector is on my car please ?

I had a quick look under the bonnet last night & found a plastic box which I assume is a fuse box,,,, but couldn't get the lid off :eek:.

I unclipped two fasteners, and whilst it did free up the lid a bit, it still seemed held fast by something that I couldn't see.

thanks

STRAT: What did you get in the end ? Satisfied ?

In the end I didn't get one. The vouchers are also accepted by a well known wine retailer ;)

Added: The connector is over your right shin when you're in the driver's seat. Look near the bonnet release and it should be under a removeable cover.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
I'll have a look tomorrow.

The machine that F6B mentions, looks like a decent machine. It should also work on my sons beamer as well.
Unless I hear anything bad about it - or the comany - on these pages, I think i'll try one.

all the best

Thanks guys,

Yep - the connector on my car is right next to the bonnet release lever. It actually has OBD on the cover of it.

Am clarifying this for other 211 owners as well.

cheers

In the end I got an Autel 509 from a guy in Wales (OneStopCarShop) - or thought I did - it turned out to be counterfeit !

The immediate 'give away' is that it had a sticker on it saying that it didn't need an internal battery,,,, but Autel says this is totally untrue and that their items do indeed need a battery.
Also they (Autel) had no knowledge of the serial number.

Luckily I got a refund,,,, so this is just a ** Beware ** message to you all.

Whilst these copies might be cheaper,,,, can they be relied upon in such technical circumstances ? Not for me.

I just got a code reader from here cost around £60/£65 inc VAT & dely and arrived next day. Great bit of kit, simple to use and paid for itself already.
I think these folk are in Exeter.
If you just want a borrow of one and you're passing Bude you're welcome to use mine any time, though.

I have this very same machine..
Very well made and does many different vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom