Code reading software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy W

Car
ML 270 cdi
Just been reading another thread elsewhere and some one was asking if software was available to carry out your own fault code reading, service interval counter resetting. Somebody replied suggesting search for "OBD II software". Is this type of thing generally available for your own PC and I suppose the expense would be prohibitive. A guy I know has a fault code reading machine which he tells every one he paid 7 grand for so he can justify charging a diagnostic fee each time he uses it with no guarantee that it will show "that particular fault code", it really cost 2.5 grand.
I dont intend to buy software for code reading it just caught my eye and interest. At one time Halfords sold a universal code reader, I doubt if it was any good or suitable for Mercs.

From what I have found out from my customers, most have a code reader that is compatible with most cars except Mercedes, they need a special code reader and only one garage has one but it does not read all the codes.

I am getting a serial port diagnosis unit in order to do laptop tuning, I don't know if it is capable of fault code reading.

Originally posted by jimmy
I am getting a serial port diagnosis unit in order to do laptop tuning, I don't know if it is capable of fault code reading.

Probably not, especially for MB as the ECU can't be serial programmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom