Code Reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Holland

Car
Mercedes C180 Classic Estate 1996 and a Ducati Paso 907ie in the Garage.
Have asked for info in another thread not sure if I can or cannot?

So just to refresh I have a 1996 C180 Classic Estate with a 38 pin socket I want to read and clear codes myself without having to shell out £40.00 each time or £30.00 in fuel to a couple of Garages that will assist locally.

Has any one used one of these with success?

For £24.00 it would appear to be the answer..............if it works correctly?

Mercedes Benz C/CLK/CL Class Code Reader~Scanner OBD2 | eBay

Mercedes OBD2 38 Pin to 16 Pin Adaptor OBDII Connector | eBay

I would email the seller and ask him because as far as I am aware it, along with all cheap hand held code readers that I have come across, will not read C Class prior to 2001.

I have a year 2000 C240 and they will not read it and neither will they read my friends 1996 C220

You will need something like I have which is a laptop with Car Soft or Star on it.

However, if you do buy it and it works I would be interested to know.

Keith

No it doesn't. I have one and it will not read the ECU at all.

Keith

I'm told the Autel EU702 works... but it's a £150 unit

No it doesn't. I have one and it will not read the ECU at all.

Keith

My Autel MaxiDiag EU702 works on my 2006 C-Class, can't comment on its suitability for older models...

But on a general note, the higher purchase price is well worth it IMO (assuming it does work with your car of course), because in addition to reading and resetting standard OBD/OBD2 codes, the Autel MaxiDiag EU702 also covers Mercedes-Benz specific modules such as SRS/Airbags, ABS/ESP, etc - while standard OBD/OBD2 readers only cover engine and transmission.

However, I find that the Live Data function is best left to garages - I doubt that the typical DIY mechanic can actually make any use of this feature (well, I can't...).

The Autel EU702 will not work on pre 2001 W202 C Class cars but will work on C Class made from 2001 onward.

Keith

Last edited:
I use a cheap Elm327 interface off Ebay similar to this ELM 327 USB 1.4a OBD2 II Code Car Diagnostic Interface | eBay

Cheap as chips and then download easyOBD which is free software. It reads and resets my W211 and W203, I used it on our old Picasso, my jeep cherokee and my brothers golf R32 so can see no reason why it won't read yours..

Mike:cool:

I use a cheap Elm327 interface off Ebay similar to this ELM 327 USB 1.4a OBD2 II Code Car Diagnostic Interface | eBay

Cheap as chips and then download easyOBD which is free software. It reads and resets my W211 and W203, I used it on our old Picasso, my jeep cherokee and my brothers golf R32 so can see no reason why it won't read yours..

Mike:cool:

It wont work on a 1996 car since it is not OBD2. It also has a different interface.

EasyOBD etc' will not work either because the Merc is a W202 and pre 2001. The Launch X-431 will read it and also more expensive handheld. I have lots of them here and a shed load of software on my laptop but I can only use the Launch or Car Soft or Star C3 on my W202 C240 which is a 2000 model !

Check with sellers before you buy or you could be buying a white elephant.

Keith

Star is the only thing that works with the older models... no one has developed the correct software. Star even works on my 1993 E500 whereas nothing else will read properly and give accurate fault codes, live data etc.

Car Soft also works well on older models. I use that and Star in my business.

Keith

But yours is not a W202 model and that is what the OP has.

I shall await their reply by email but it does look and sound like like I have a lost cause.................:crazy:

Make sure you tell them its the W202

Good luck.

Keith

Pendragon

But yours is not a W202 model and that is what the OP has.

Quite so, but I understood that after around 1994 all petrols were OBD compliant, but that an adapter, which I beleive is available for the U480, may be needed for the earlier plugs such as the posters. I chose this reader because, at the price (17 quidish), I could throw it away if it didn't work. It appears that there is doubt over the suitability of even the dearer ones.

what difference with them???
One is the reader the other the adapter so it fits my car 38 pin plug.

Quite so, but I understood that after around 1994 all petrols were OBD compliant, but that an adapter, which I beleive is available for the U480, may be needed for the earlier plugs such as the posters. I chose this reader because, at the price (17 quidish), I could throw it away if it didn't work. It appears that there is doubt over the suitability of even the dearer ones.
With respect to my engine It would appear I have the later models ignition coils fitted and the looms to match as with a recent replacement every motor factor I went into kept ordering/giving me the ones with the silver pyramid covers on and not the square block units which I have fitted.

So there may be hope yet?

The Autel EU702 will not work on pre 2001 W202 C Class cars but will work on C Class made from 2001 onward.

Keith

Good to know - almost bought one!

Do you know if it resets the airbag light at least, or is it a failure there too? (put leather seats in...)

M.

It will read absolutely nothing on any pre 2001 W202 Mercedes and the same goes for all the cheap code readers.................of which I have many. We just use them on other makes to reset lights and use both the Star or Car Soft on the laptops to do a proper diagnosis on W202's and other Mercedes & BMW's.

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom