'Coding' a new key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

khimani_mohiki

Car
1992 190E, 1989 500SEC, 1968 220/8
Just got a replacement key for my W215 2000 CL500.

Are replacement keys coded from the factory to operate the car?

I have been charged £40 for 'coding' the keyless go key although they couldnt get the keyless element working, do standard keys require coding to operate, should I have paid anything other than the cost of the key?

Just got a replacement key for my W215 2000 CL500.

Are replacement keys coded from the factory to operate the car?

I have been charged £40 for 'coding' the keyless go key although they couldnt get the keyless element working, do standard keys require coding to operate, should I have paid anything other than the cost of the key?

Keys need to come from Mercedes and cost around £150 plus VAT. They come coded to that car.

Yeah I got the key from mercedes Coventry, ordered to my VIN. Should it have required coding or have I been charged for their failed attempt to get the keyless go working?

AFAIK the car's EIS needs to be 'told' about the new key. Old keys, lost keys etc can be blocked from working with the car as a security thing.

Keys need to come from Mercedes and cost around £150 plus VAT. They come coded to that car.

When did you last order a key mine cost £297 and they couldn't get it to work the Keyless go, reason is, they supplied the wrong f in key. :wallbash:

Yeah I got the key from mercedes Coventry, ordered to my VIN. Should it have required coding or have I been charged for their failed attempt to get the keyless go working?

They wanted my car for the day to make sure it worked, they couldn't get it to work all they said was my car was at fault, Malcolm and others have told me I have the wrong key but Mercedes keep saying my car is at fault. :doh:

It was £230, the new type with the chrome trim. I get the 'chip not recognised' message on the dash so I guess it is a keyless go key. They told me it was the gear selector at fault, which would be £400+ to fix, they couldn't code the original spare key for keyless either.

No body I spoke to seemed to know what keyless go was either, they kept referring to it as 'key lets go' and 'keys let go'. Facepalm

Normal keys come coded and the car doesn't need to go on star if the keys have come from MB. Keyless keys do require coding to work.

Mark at replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk confirmed this for me as keyless go keys are one thing that only a dealer can help with.

They wanted my car for the day to make sure it worked, they couldn't get it to work all they said was my car was at fault, Malcolm and others have told me I have the wrong key but Mercedes keep saying my car is at fault. :doh:

The keyless go key only has one battery inside. Normal keys have 2. You can check to see which type they've supplied.

The keyless go key only has one battery inside. Normal keys have 2. You can check to see which type they've supplied.

The key MB supplied me with has the chrome sides and two batteries, Malcolm says that the buttons are also a giveaway, the keyless go key has a bigger/longer lock button, but as the key came from Germany they are very insistent that its my car that is at fault.

Both my old and new keys give the 'chip not recognised' message when I approach the car unlocked, so they must both be keyless.

I was told when I ordered that the key cards were also still available, good job I didnt order one as it would be completely useless unless coded.

The question is should I be asking for my £40 back for the failed keyless coding attempt?

When did you last order a key mine cost £297 and they couldn't get it to work the Keyless go, reason is, they supplied the wrong f in key. :wallbash:

Not that long ago but I dont go to my local dealer;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom