Coding Keys to unlock one or all doors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

donubenz

Car
w211 r230
Hi , may be a useful post for someone although available elsewhere as that is where this info comes from.
My original 3 button Key for a W211 was very battered so I bought a new case from Ebay and swapped the guts. An easy job and documented on here. The issue was that the buttons are not so "plump" as the original and it did not feel quite what I was used to but it all worked fine. So I thought use this as the spare and the relatively unused proper Merc key will be used daily instead.
I noticed that the original key opened all the doors and not just the drivers as the other one did. Having recently replaced the drivers door lock as the mechanism was "machine gunning" I am quite happy to open the drivers door with one press and the rest with another press if I have passengers to save wear on the other locks.
After bugging me for a week I looked on the net for a solution and found that apparently Mercedes supplied the 2 Keys with one set for a single press and the other for a double one. If you want to change on each individual Key then hold both the lock and unlock down for a few seconds and a double flash of the red battery OK lights will flash to show the mode has been changed. Might be useful if someone needs to alter their key operation and save the lock wear. Not sure what other models this works with but it did on the E class W211.
Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom