coil packs for cl 600 v12 200 plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattyboy cl600

Car
mercedes cl 600 v12
Hi
Can or does anyone know where I can get coil packs for my cl600 cheaper than main dealer prices any info will be much appreciated
Matt

I imagine that this is not a common part so finding a stock outside of the dealer network would be unlikely.

I would suggest researching as to where most of these models were sold, presumably the USA? and perhaps search for American MB spare parts websites?

It is possible that a breaker may have some as well? You can post requirements on any car breaker websites and they will contact their members to search for you.

That's a bit like asking for the Holy Grail mate. If any one has developed a cheap replacement its the YANKS. e.g. BWD E1078/E1079 2001 Mercedes-Benz S600 Ignition Coils, Boots & Modules | StockWiseAuto Ignition Coils ----- Problem is they are such a rare motor its not worth anyone developing a cheaper alternative or repair technique for the after market. Various theories why they fail with such regularity-- one was the temporary software cylinder shut off to save fuel which gave rise to an imbalance on the high tension side- this was rectified in later models where that was disabled. Another is that underbody heat degrades the plug leads also causing failure its recommended these are changed with the cassette.

PS interestingly they appear to be listed under some BMW V12's also which gives food for thought?

Hi Matt did you get round to ordering a coil pack for the CL600? Would be interested if you picked up a cheap one ? Any advise appreciated

These guys seem to offer some of the parts kits ?
Amazon.com: IC347 B2919*6 01-12 Mercedes Benz Set 6pcs Ignition Coil Cassette Repair Kit With 12 Mosfet & 6 Denso Spark Plug CL600 CL65 AMG S600 S65 AMG SL600 SL65 AMG 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12: Automotive
Tis rumoured the fault occurs due to coil winding insulation failure due to excessive engine heat transfer . This might indicate that altho you isolate the faulty coils/ transistors the others may ---or may not :dk: be on the point of failure also . However they may simply be "the weakest link " :eek: and the others are fine for many more miles . Remember there are 24 coils in all so you can only repair a few- but that might be enough! This is only practical as as a money saving DIY if you or a friend are happy wielding a soldering iron. That said the first ones are going to be a difficult learning curve --- if successful later ones-- if required subsequently --- you will do in your sleep.

ps I have read mixed reviews on autopartpro on the net - so its a high risk strategy.

pps - its my guess that the guys offering a repair facility may simply accumulate faulty units and strip/ scavenge useable parts from them to rebuild others

Last edited:
Autozone in the U.S. have them, I picked up a spare set while I was there for $1,500 for the pair. They are also upgraded and have a lifetime warranty.

Thanks, both.

I'd rather go down the replacement route - tried Autozone.com and they're not listing V12 coil packs, so will ring them if needed - car goes in to garage tomorrow for STAR so should know more then.

Thanks again,

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom