Coil Spring Assistance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sicelo

Car
1999 C230 Kompressor Sport, manual
My W202 C230K Sport has bad sag at rear (probably the result of towing while with previous owner).

I am going to be changing the shocks on the vehicle in the near future, but the amount of sag is so much that I think it is much better to replace the springs as well. Checking with the EPC it seems I need part number 2103243104, which supersedes 2023241004 that I assume is currently installed in the car.

As can be guessed, stealer charges an arm and a leg for these, so I am looking at getting them manufactured for me. Lemforder cross reference shows the dimensions of the spring.

Do you have any more advice in this field? I don't have much knowledge in springs/suspension.

I am not trying to lower the vehicle, but want to restore stock height. I have done some basic research on coil springs and noticing that the behavior of the spring will also depend on the materials used. What would you suggest I choose?

Well
I found slightly longer original used springs for GBP7.25 each. These are 202 324 18 04 (two grey bands).

Specifications show this spring to be 25mm longer than the original fitted spring in the car. It is quite obvious the car will stand a little too tall. If it does, I guess I will simply change the spring pads from the current #3 to either of the lower-numbered ones.

Will fit sometime next week once I get hold of a spring compressor

A2023241004 99 , 327, 13.6 SPRING DIAMETER/LENGTH/CROSS SECTION [ SACHS]

A2103243104 99, 320, 13.25

A2023241804 100,345, 13.75

assuming the second hand springs may be a bit "tired" you should be OK

thanks Grober. I had exactly the same info from the site I linked in my 1st post. Mind to share where you got yours from?

Quick fix is dougnuts, they are rubber split ring that you insert in to the original spring to beef it up a little But if your picky .Then springs are the way to go.. If its been towing then i am surprised its not been done .Have you looked under at them

it was towing (before i owned it). and yes, it did have those doughnuts, which were already cracked :)
the car has been too low for the whole year i've owned it. i already got the springs now, so that's hopefully the end of sag. tomorrow i'll be installing them.

then i will buy shocks, but i didn't want to put in new shocks (they aint cheap this side) on weak springs, as i figure that will be waste of money that needs to go elsewhere (MAF, motor mounts, PCV, endless list .. makes it sound like piece of junk .. junk that i love :D )

then i will buy shocks, but i didn't want to put in new shocks (they aint cheap this side) on weak springs, as i figure that will be waste of money that needs to go elsewhere (MAF, motor mounts, PCV, endless list .. makes it sound like piece of junk .. junk that i love :D )

Keep the faith as they're all common items that need replacing.

What I haven't figured out is what exactly you are trying to achieve suspension wise? Whatever your aim is don't do it on the cheap, springs and shocks can make or break an already good car, the same with wheels & tyres.

i'll post before and after pics so you can see :)

there is currently really bad sag at the rear of the car. when the car is on level ground, there is no clearance between the wheel arch and wheel. the front has a lot of clearance however. each time I have previously done wheel alignment, they never could get the camber right, partly due to the condition of the springs. (wheel alignment shops here suck for MB anyway)

in short, i'm restoring stock height at the rear. i don't mind a little extra height at the rear as I do carry passengers maybe 50% of the time. When i buy shocks, i'm putting in new Bilsteins.

in short, i'm restoring stock height at the rear. i don't mind a little extra height at the rear as I do carry passengers maybe 50% of the time. When i buy shocks, i'm putting in new Bilsteins.

Got you now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom