coil springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
kth286, cheers mate. I'll give u bell tomorrow about it :)

eddie_E said:
To solve the argument, I too thought "pah, what do they know" when reading all the posts about how you can't use normal external spring compressors. I am a competent mechanic and work with several million £ setups and have a 'good' range of skills. I have been there and tried and IT CANNOT BE DONE with normal compressors! Anyone who says it can has never done it! It is just not physically possible! it is as simple as that. You may be able to squeeze them on the front but you will be unable to tighten them up, on the rear there is absolutly no chance of even getting them nearly on!
The only way of doing it (on a W124 at least) is with the internal type as used by Mercedes.
Big_X, you are talking bollox mate.

No you've missed the point...if we had access to swish well equiped garages the thread would not exsist..we would all have the MB Klann tool which is the quickest way.For those without here is the way to change springs with no compressor at all...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1184158&mid=1292122&fid=20#M1292122

The compression required with a wishbone/control arm drop and removal of the top shock bolt is only around 3" something external compressors can handle for a one off job.

adam

Last edited:
Cheers, I appreciate the response. To correct your misinformation again tho:
external compressors can handle for a one off job.
No they won't. They DO NOT physically fit in the space! Just try it for youself and you will see.

For those without here is the way to change springs with no compressor at all...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...id=20#M1292122
thanks for the link :) It looks like thats the way i'll have to do it, with no compressors at all. But if anyone else reads this looking to do the same thing then I must stress that it's all too easy for jack to ping off and the spring to fire out!! I'll try and be ready but really there’s nothing i'll be able to do about it if it that happens.

Last edited:
eddie_E said:
Cheers, I appreciate the response. To correct your misinformation again tho: No they won't. They DO NOT physically fit in the space! Just try it for youself and you will see.

thanks for the link :) It looks like thats the way i'll have to do it, with no compressors at all. But if anyone else reads this looking to do the same thing then I must stress that it's all too easy for jack to ping off and the spring to fire out!! I'll try and be ready but really there’s nothing i'll be able to do about it if it that happens.

Can you get the compressors on just to lock the spring at it's standard length, while you drop the arm?

Dieselman said:
Can you get the compressors on just to lock the spring at it's standard length, while you drop the arm?
No, they do not fit in what little space there is.

Dieselman said:
Yes, that's exactly what I did. In fact I used the trolley jack at the end of the arm first to compress the spring a little bit, hooked on the external compressors then lowered the jack, moved it to the other end and dropped the arm. Without taking any of the tension out it would be very dangerous I think.:crazy:
Proper compressors is the way to go.

janner said:
Yes, that's exactly what I did. In fact I used the trolley jack at the end of the arm first to compress the spring a little bit, hooked on the external compressors then lowered the jack, moved it to the other end and dropped the arm
What on a W124?? how? you'd have to chop a hole in the inner arch and cut the drive shaft in half to get any sort of room around the spring :confused:

eddie_E said:
What on a W124?? how? you'd have to chop a hole in the inner arch and cut the drive shaft in half to get any sort of room around the spring :confused:
Yep, took an angle grinder to it!

Nah, not really. It went on okay, a bit like the Haynes pic. There just isn't enough room to tighten them up all the way. It's enough to hold most of the tension though, whilst you drop the wishbone.

Here's the Blue Peter home made version made out of old tin foil...

DSC00007.jpg

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=134474&highlight=home+made+spring+compressor
adam

Last edited:
YeS but???

I get the general idea but what does the " socket extension thingy" do at the bottom of the pic.

grober said:
I get the general idea but what does the " socket extension thingy" do at the bottom of the pic.
I rather suspect it screws into the threaded bar to compress the spring when fitted.

But they're not the same items as you said and showed in your original post .... :confused:

I Read The Post

I have now read the thread on the mercedes shop forum and it is a mystery no more. :rolleyes: Good lash up design but could be improved some. If it does the job fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom