Colchester to Bulford best route Monday morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snoop51

Car
MB E350 CDI Sport w/ command & leather
Advice required on the best route to take as I have the joy of trying to drive to Bulford from Colchester on Monday morning to take my son to his new barracks by 12 midday. According to the RAC A12, M25 North, M3 (which takes me past Heathrow) is the shortest/quickest) by 5 miles but I'm always dubious about going past Heathrow at any time. If I go South M25 over the Dartford crossing will this be A/ less stressful and B/ keep me moving more consistently? This will be the first time in about 5 years I've driven any distance during a Monday morning rush so any advice will be gratefully received. Cheers:thumb:

good luck snoop, A12 is a mission unless you leave VERY early, i normally leave colchester 5:30ish if i have to do a weekday morning trip down to london just to avoid the traffic!

3 hours should do it, i'd go A120, M11, M25, M3, A303 8am start should mean you hit the M25 after the worst has past.

I agree with Alps - I live in Leavenheath just north of Colchester going either to Heathrow or to the office (sometimes) and usually leave home before 6am to avoid the traffic. Going southabout you will hit the Junction 5/6 snarl up, which is just as bad as anything going around the North. SInce the road has been widened around the M40 junction, I think that unless there has been an accident, the northabout route to the M3 is pretty well favoured. A120/M11 doesn't really improve anything nowadays unless the traffic is really bad -but just my preference. Well worth a look if there is a traffic alert. Hope that helps

Much appreciated guys, thanks, so basically I'm pretty screwed as there's no way in hell I'll be getting SWMBO & No1 son out of the house before 7am. ;)

I only have to drive from Colchester to Ramsgate once every 4th Wednesday, I'm over the Dartford crossing by 6am just to avoid traffic. So I've completely lost track of the morning grind that a lot of others put themselves through.:)

The M25 is like a game of snakes with no ladders. Whichever way you go it will be the wrong one. However much recent driving has taught me that the M25 near Heathrow tends to clear around 9 - 9.30.

Leave early then stop for breakfast at the Little Chef in Popham - the one Heston Blumenthal made over. Surprisingly decent.

The M25 is like a game of snakes with no ladders. Whichever way you go it will be the wrong one. However much recent driving has taught me that the M25 near Heathrow tends to clear around 9 - 9.30.

Leave early then stop for breakfast at the Little Chef in Popham - the one Heston Blumenthal made over. Surprisingly decent.

Thanks Charles but I don't think I'll get as far as Popham before No1 son requires feeding, he's a 20 yr old squaddie who eats like a horse on a 2 hourly cycle (or that's what it seems like when he's home!):D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom