Cold air intake missing and fuel economy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stocious

Car
2005 E200 1.8 kompressor
On my E200K the cold air intake pipe is missing, what are people’s opinion on its impact on fuel economy with it not being there, and or performance

You need a cold air intake. Cold air is denser than warm so, when mixed with fuel and ignited, you get a bigger bang for your buck.
That's why a cool dawn drive is so rewarding.

You need a cold air intake. Cold air is denser than warm so, when mixed with fuel and ignited, you get a bigger bang for your buck.
That's why a cool dawn drive is so rewarding.
Teego has summed it up perfectly. You'll definitely be missing out on a bit of power, especially as things heat up in the engine bay.

The difference in my car of the hot summer air (25c+) and the frosty cool winter air is fairly pronounced, I don't have a rolling road graph to back this up, but even if you ghetto rigged some flexible pipe to give it a cold air feed you'd notice a difference (though I don't recommend this) as Mercedes boffins have designed the cold air intakes with some thought in place.

When servicing my Golf a couple of weeks back, in haste I left a piece on the air intake off as I didn't clip it back in properly, so it was sucking in hot air from the engine bay, I went for a drive and instantly felt a difference...reduced power and MPGs were not as high as before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom