Cold morning engine warm-up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But the damage (if there was any) would already be done. I don't think it's a concern to just drive and go.

@renault12ts

Or you could assume that the previous owner/s really looked after the car (which is why you purchased it) and continue the good work.:)

Almost 60% of new car sales are fleet or business purchases so the odds are against the used car that you buy having been babied.

Yet they seem to survive.

My change was within seconds of the original & I had not seen your response......you must have had your fingers hovering over your keyboard.:)

Space is space - if you are polluting the air on a remote island, you are still polluting the air.
Yet so many MB owners would love to disable stop/start.

Exactly the time it takes to put my seat belt on, set the heater and check the mirrors.

For what it's worth I have always just started & gone. However when I went to look at mine it was running & even when I went to pick it up it was running so for Taxis/Private Hire certainly in my case it is something they do from habit. I think somebody mentioned the longevity of London taxis which I believe in part is the fact that they never get totally cold(plus other factors of course). Just passed 305,000 with most of the miles done by the Taxi Company.

I always pre-warm the car when it’s a little chilly as I like to keep Mrs Ant & Mrs Ant jnr toasty warm.

I don’t bother pre-warming van for me, just up & out.

Last edited by a moderator:
As above.
(In addition, it's illegal to have the engine running while stationary, but that's to do with emissions regulations, not engine wear)

Rule 123
The Driver and the Environment. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road. Generally, if the vehicle is stationary and is likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should apply the parking brake and switch off the engine to reduce emissions and noise pollution. However it is permissible to leave the engine running if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or for diagnosing faults.

So if you are off road on the driveway for instance it is fine.

...So if you are off road on the driveway for instance it is fine.

Except that the definition of what constitutes a public road isn't clear cut.

Legally, a road or an area do not automatically cease to be considered a public road just because they are privately owned.

As an example, pub car parks, are a public road during the pub's opening hours, and a private road when the pub is closed.

I am not suggesting that anyone will actually get into trouble for leaving their engine running on their drive, but just to say that we shouldn't assume that just because a stretch or road or piece of land are privately owned, they do no constitute a public road in the legal definition of the term.

I always thought 'public' was anywhere that was not specifically signposted as private or had permanent restricted access.

True about public car parks or other car parks where the public are legally allowed to access, but private property and your driveway are not defined as the public road and therefore would not be an offence.

I would normally drive off as soon as the car is safely able to move, except when wifey wants the car warm, heated seats switched on etc

Auto experts today say that you should warm up the car no more than 30 seconds before you start driving in winter. "The engine will warm up faster being driven," the EPA and DOE explain. Indeed, it is better to turn your engine off and start it again than to leave it idling.

Thanks
I set off pretty much the instant it starts but mines garaged. Obviously I don't use high revs straight away but I don't lug it either. The engine will warm up faster if you stay out of top gear and use moderate revs which will put some heat in the oil. Slogging along at 1000 RPM is a bad idea on a cold engine.
Perfect in my opinion, just keep a light load on until warmed up and never let even a warm engine chug along in a high gear, far better to keep it running freely at higher rpm

It's a car not woman, their not fussed about foreplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom