Cold Rev Limit

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Alex225, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Alex225

Alex225 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Sorry if this is a daft question, I wondered if the engine in the CLS63 had a cold rev limit.

I usually allow any car I'm driving to warm up but I'm aware my Megane 225 has a cold rev limit (4k although never hit it). Wondered if the AMGs had something similar.

Also what is the cars hot oil temp? Wondered as I've never actually had an oil temp gauge. Sorry for the daft questions, just wanna look after my new purchase. :thumb:

2. daveenty

daveenty Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S63 Coupe
    Never noticed one on mine but, as you say, it never gets revved until the oil is warmed up, especially after seeing one with the valve train damaged.

Oil temp gauge changes from blue to white at 80 degrees C (in the AMG menu) I usually leave it till it gets to around 90 before driving "spiritedly".

3. OP
    OP
    Alex225

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    I must admit I've only ever hit the limiter on one car I was driving which was an ex's Clio 182.

Also, with this kind of car even changing 3,000rpm in each gear means you're shifting somewhat.

4. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    Hitting the red line is a good thing, especially for diesels

5. stwat

stwat Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1989 W126 300 SE
    When I drive my old mans V70 D5 i like to give it the beans from time to time, as he drives it like the pensioner he is. The black smoke it emits at first is shocking but soon clears up as the engine clears its throat.

6. OP
    OP
    Alex225

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Silly thing with the RS Clios is that they had a gear change light, used to flash about 100rpm before the limiter although those 2.0 engines are often remapped to rev higher than standard without issue.

Just intrigued about the AMG engines and cold limits really. Don't need to rev too much with 500bhp unless you're going a bit mental haha

Tags: