Cold Snap = Glow Plug Failure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
Yup! Monday morning, car started ok but glow plug light came back on for approx 60sec.
Called MB Swindon and popped in 30min later all fixed, replaced one glow plug. (No charge, thanks Service-Plus).
Apparently they have had a flood of similar incidents. Also reading here on the forum there have been a number glow plug related threads.

Is this really all down to the recent cold weather? Or coincidence?

The glowplugs are on for longer in cold weather so there is a link.

Do you think they would have offered to change just one plug if you hadn't been covered by service plus.??:rolleyes:

One or five, what difference? The garage get paid for the time. Ok not as much as from a paying customer but still get paid and make a profit.

The workshop was heaving, all bays occupied. The showroom was busy also. In the time I was there at least 3 people went out on drives. Business seems strong..

Hi

After 4 years and just over 100,000 miles my glow plug light came on this evening. They were genuine plugs when i fitted them 4 years ago. Is that run par for the course?? Not looking forward to changing them although i did copper grease the threads.

I reckon plugs can go anytime.

Remove them while the engine is hot, apprently it's a lot easier!

Ive had a spate of glow plug changing in the last month. Checked all 6 and only one was faulty so replaced it. Next day light back on:(

Checked again and i had another 2 failed plugs so replaced them :)

so far so good. Yes, it does appear to be in my case related to the cold snap we have had. Mine all came out with no problems at all. Threads shiny clean, no carbon up the stem etc. I suspect engines that are or have been steam cleaned/jet washed will cause the plugs to corrode as on my engine they are recessed so any water in their will hang around.

I've had 16 hours of free labour, free fasteners, free alloy wheel centres, oil etc etc from Merc, best service i've ever had as a whole.

We had a few of our engines which use to go through glow plugs more than others, never did find out why as the exact same models in other cells would be perfect.

Dave!

TO be honest... if one of my plugs went funny i'd replace all the plugs in my engine for consistency.... so they dont start going off at different intervals.

That may be easy for me to say as i only have 4 plugs... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom