Cold start engine rattle on new slk230

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin99

Car
slk230
I have just brought a new SLK230, and I have had some teething problems. I have taken the car back and they say all is normal. I need some advice on whether they are telling the truth or just bad service advice. My problems are;
1) When starting from cold the engine rattles. This rattle sounds like the timing chain tensioner. Mercedes response all SLK230 rattle like this on cold start- True or False?
2) Tick over hunts when hot with no engine loads ie AC. Mercedes response Normal - True or False?
3) When parking on half lock, the steering wheel goes light as if there is no hydraulic fluid. This goes away once the engine has been started and the wheel has been turned to normal lock. Mercedes response This can not happen - True or False?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Colin

Apparently these engines do rattle on start up, it's the hydraulic tappets.
I'm not totally sure what you mean about the steering but if you mean the steering is lighter when on half lock it is because the car is fitted with a system that is less assisted at straight ahead to give more feedback. It is impossible for the steering to have no connection as it has mechanical steering with power assistance only.

Hi Colin,

Checked these this morning. My findings below:

Originally posted by colin99

1) When starting from cold the engine rattles. This rattle sounds like the timing chain tensioner. Mercedes response all SLK230 rattle like this on cold start- True or False?

Mine doesn't rattle. I even tried giving it a few revs and i still didn't hear rattling. If your local stealer has an slk230 on their forecourt maybe they could start that up for you to compare.

2) Tick over hunts when hot with no engine loads ie AC. Mercedes response Normal - True or False?

May get a *very* slight fluctuation with the rev counter at idle but nothing noticable or to concern me.

3) When parking on half lock, the steering wheel goes light as if there is no hydraulic fluid. This goes away once the engine has been started and the wheel has been turned to normal lock. Mercedes response This can not happen - True or False?

I don't get this. Again, could you check another SLK at your local stealer?

Cheers,
SImon

Come on Guys and Girls, Please help me and tell me if your car rattles when you start it in the morning or the tick over is up and down !!!
Is my car a Monday morning build ?

Thanks in advance..Colin.

mine "rattles" (not an uneven idle - just a noticeable noise...)

Its a fairly common thing, apparently.

Once warmed up - after about a minute - its quiet and smooth as anything.

S.

Originally posted by colin99
Come on Guys and Girls, Please help me and tell me if your car rattles when you start it in the morning or the tick over is up and down !!!
Is my car a Monday morning build ?

Thanks in advance..Colin.

OK, same engine.

No ticks, no rattles. I used to own a BMW with their infamous M42 engine, so know a noisy valve lifter when I hear one!

From COLD start idle revs hunt up and down VERY slighty, but not for long. I never notice idle varies when air con is on - even switching it on and off at idle.

As for the fluid problem - tell them it does happen or are they calling you a liar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom