Cold War, Hot Jets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul/, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Paul/

Paul/ Active Member

Car:
    CLS 320cdi
    BBC2 9:00pm, 8th Nov

<oops, sorry, posted in wrong section>

"1/2. Britain emerged from the Second World War in financial crisis, but the development of the jet engine provided hope for the future and resulted in a world-leading aviation industry. In the first of a two-part documentary, historian and author James Holland examines how the jet became a lucrative export and a powerful piece of military hardware during the Cold War, and looks at how selling to the wrong buyer could alter the balance of power."

Cold War, Hot Jets | Series 1 - Episode 1 | Radio Times

(that link has footage of the DH110 breaking up and hitting the crowd at the 1952 Farnborough show, with horrific consequences. My Dad was there and had to queue for hours after for the few public phones to let his parents know he was OK.)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. camerafodder

camerafodder MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Touareg V6 Altitude, Toyota IQ2
    My Dad was there too!

1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Paul/

Paul/ Active Member

Car:
    CLS 320cdi
    It's a small world, so there's at least 2 of us here who might not have been, had fate sent those chunks of metal on a different trajectory. The amazing thing from today's perspective is how such tragedies were just taken in their stride, and the show literally went on (just like in GP racing of the time).

2 people like this.
  4. s88

s88 Active Member

Car:
    E320CDI & SL350
    Are you brothers?

5. camerafodder

Car:
    No I've spoken to Paul and we had different paper rounds...:D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  6. artyman

artyman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C 200 CDI Sport
    Interesting to see the Gloster Javelin, I made a Keil-Kraft model of one when I woz a yoof.

1 person likes this.
  7. RFdesigner

RFdesigner New Member

Thanks for the link.. just watched it.

My grandparents were there with my Dad and his sister. Nan described it as eerie as the aircraft broke up silently (high speed towards crowd) bits just falling off the aircraft which otherwise flew straight and true until the only thing left was the engines, which flew straight into the hill, which was the best viewpoint for the crowd.

Apparently they had earmarked a spot on the hill, but gone to take a look at the stationary aircraft before the flying started, then found the hill too crowded so made do with a different spot.

Nan was not one for making things up, and my Dad has confirmed the story.

2 people like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Paul/

Paul/ Active Member

Car:
    CLS 320cdi
    "Eerie" is an good description for that sight, especially the engines impacting last like missiles.

I was initially surprised to discover that there are at least 3 of us here with fathers at that show, but then of course the crowds were huge, the massive show of leading-edge British technical prowess must have been amazing to witness first-hand.

9. camerafodder

Car:
    I enjoyed the the program a lot. My father was in the RAF at the time of that fateful Farnborough show. He had a passion for aircraft which rubbed off onto me too.

1 person likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Paul/

Paul/ Active Member

Car:
    CLS 320cdi
    Same for me- my dad had left the RAF by then, signed up just before the war (so evident that we aren't half-brothers!), it was a passion he'd had from being a young boy (getting a flight in an AVRO biplane when Alan Cobham's Flying Circus visited Southport beach). Sound of Merlin engines always brings a lump to my throat- partly for the sheer thrill, but also brings back happy memories of airshows with him.

1 person likes this.
  11. tonyc280

tonyc280 Active Member

Car:
    1997 C280 V6 Elegance Auto Facelift. 1992 Kawasaki ZZR1100 C3
    my dad was there too for the aerospace company he was working for at the time after not long leaving the navy. He took me when i was older too. Ahh fond memories of those lovely noisy jets.

1 person likes this.
  12. RFdesigner

RFdesigner New Member

Engineering also runs in the family, and those of an Engineering mind will tend towards the better engineered cars.

I'm an Electronics R&D Enginner, my Dad worked in/around engineering all his life, my Grandpa was an architect. My 7 year old daughter makes 'machines' all the time and can think in 3D. Engineers are born, not trained.

1 person likes this.
  13. camerafodder

Car:
    oh dear I bet you're a barrel of laughs in the pub...

14. camerafodder

Car:
    Bloody hell artyman, in one instant you just brought back a flood of forgotten memories from my childhood! Just by mentioning the word KeilKraft!

15. RFdesigner

RFdesigner New Member

Que?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  16. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    I've still got a couple of the full KeilKraft catalogues from the mid-70s, plus some of the folded-sheet ones that they and Veron used to produce. I've got scanned copies of the latter ... too big to attach here though :(

2 people like this.
  17. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    ...anyone mentioned AirFix? :)

18. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
  19. flango

flango Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    I thought that until I bought an MB then I realised the power of illusion is far greater than the power of engineering :D

20. OP
    OP
    Paul/

Paul/ Active Member

Car:
    CLS 320cdi
    I spent more pocket and gift money on their products than anything else. It's amazing to see the company's resurgence, with many completely new releases. The scale modelling industry overall has recently surpassed its previous boom period of the early 70s, partly thanks to CAD technology. The difference nowadays is that many models are outrageoulsy detailed and require considerable skill to build well (he says from painful experience) and the target audience has changed, fewer young boys and more middle aged and beyond...except of course in some cases it's actually the same person now grown up.

Tags: