Colin Ferns Richmond

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnpidge

Car
CLK320 C209
Has anyone tried this MB indy?? Raleigh Road TW9 2DU - They are very very close to where I work which would be very handy!

Yep , Colins good , used him a few times.

ahh but can he do V8 spark plugs in 23 mins?

Probably not ;)

There's only one man that i know that can change 16 plugs in 23 minutes :D

John ,

Worth a day out to Ollys ... I go there , get to lounge around drinking tea while Olly does stuff ..... it's all good. They even have a counselling service ( inside joke ;) )

Colin Ferns is ok, he did my head gasket 100k miles ago so I guess he must have done it right.

My only criticism is that he is quite rigid with his working hours which dont exactly help the customer.

Opened at 09:30 and was completely shut by 17:00 and he only works monday to friday. I guessed that he has a loyal bunch of customers and as long as he is achieving his target turnover each month he's happy and shuts up early.

His times don't bother me as I work 5 mins walk from him - Olly your in Portsmouth?? and highly recommended!!!!!!! - can you move to Isleworth please???? Lol.

Hmm - I've worked here since 1981 (Richmond) and never new he was there until I saw in the local Mag (Living In??) so he must be keenish for business - but I suppose I'm new to Merc's even though my dad's had one for 15 yrs!

Has anyone tried this MB indy?? Raleigh Road TW9 2DU - They are very very close to where I work which would be very handy!

I know Colin himself and have worked with him a few times. He has a great attitude to life and work and I personally would recommend him and his staff.

never had any work done by him as his quote was way over the top in comparission. I did fix his phone line once though:thumb:

I can recommend someone else locally (being a little cautious of advertising rules here).

A young Polish chap that I am now good friends with. He is a mobile mechanic at the moment although he's about to open premises in Brentford in the next few weeks as he's had enough of winters in the cold. :D

He's passionate about Mercedes cars (he bought my limo off me to add to his collection) and I recommend him wholeheartedly.

FinchMotors - 24 Hour Mobile Mechanic / Recovery Assistance

I can recommend someone else locally (being a little cautious of advertising rules here).

A young Polish chap that I am now good friends with. He is a mobile mechanic at the moment although he's about to open premises in Brentford in the next few weeks as he's had enough of winters in the cold. :D

He's passionate about Mercedes cars (he bought my limo off me to add to his collection) and I recommend him wholeheartedly.

FinchMotors - 24 Hour Mobile Mechanic / Recovery Assistance

Only garage in Brentford I know of is Motorwise - I used to use someone called Pawel (nice polish lad) in Kew until he emigrated to Canada!!

I don't believe he's moved in to his premises yet in Brentford but it is imminent.

This business has grown enormously over the years and so one presumes that Colin and his team must be doing something right!
I believe that Colin has just managed to procure the freehold to the premises and is now embarking on a programme of refurbishments which are well overdue.
He's done my cars for nearly two decades and I've never once had cause to complain.
I don't doubt that if I really wanted to I could find someone cheaper, but for me price isn't everything. I have absolute trust in them and with that trust comes peace of mind; that in itself, at least in my book, has a value.
Go find out for yourself!
(Incidentally, Bryan, the workshop manager, opens up at 7.30am and closes up at 5.30pm!)

Last edited:
Just add to this thread about Colin Fern. I have used them for past four years on my E W211, and they have been great. They have always fitted me in when it was an emergency and all other work booked in a sensible time frame. I don't think they are that cheap ( though I don't have other indies to compare to) but I trust them. Bryan the workshop manager is great and always very helpful. Once my CLS main dealer used warranty completes, I'll be taking it there to them.

Thanks

Re Colin Ferns
I took my w124 cabriolet to them after reading glowing reviews on this website. Worst mistake ever. They did not do what was requested. they failed to pick up a clear leak in the aircon condenser (when i t had been booked in because the aircon was not blowing cold, and they had been informed it had recently been re-gassed). There are other issues. The trim that covers the hood lock on the rear valance was fine and in place when the car was dropped off with them. they were asked to adjust or align the hood as it didnt quite close wihtout being helped. they fixed this, but i suspect broke the plastic catch on the trim as one day later, its missing from the car. They are not interested in taking any responsibility and i will avoid as i found them to be no different from any other back street london garage. what reputation they had must be based on past service levels. When they called to tell me the car was ready, i asked them if the aircond was fixed and was assured it was, all checked and tested, no leaks etc. I live 80 miles away from them and they knew this. I travelled up to pick up the car. i drove it away, within two miles noticed the aricon was blowing warm air. thought it might need some time to get cold. two more miles later, still warm. phones them immediately from the car. they said, bring it straight back (i was only 4 miles from them, 6 minutes drive). drove straight back to them to find they had all gone for lunch. didn't tell me they would not be there when i got back. useless.
Leak in aircon system found within minutes of it going back up on the ramp. clearly they didn't check it properly and for that reason, the slipshod way they operate and the lack of responsibility for breaking a component (the only logical explanation for the hood latch trim going missing after they had it off and on again) I will avoid in the future. I only put this comment up so that it balances what might otherwise be misleading glowing reports. They had every chance to offer to solve the hood latch trim situation, but chose to wash their hands of it.
When i picked the car up, the seat belt butlers were not working either. they worked fine before, then i noticed they didnt work when i picked it up. when i pointed this out, the mechanic started fiddling around in the fuse box. he didnt know what he was doing, but eventually they started working again and are still working. when i asked what he did to make them work, he said "i dont know"

Conversely , see my post from yesterday about how good the guys at Colin's are. :)

No trading on past service levels as far as I'm concerned.

Think I saw your car , burgundy ? Funny wheels ?

Welcome on board.

TBH I've never understood why people drive hundreds of miles to get a car serviced, especially in the S.E. / London where there are many reputable & proficient indies.

OP, where do you live?

they quoted me £1150 for a c service and gearbox fluid change

nearly had a heart attack

Miserable people tend to get miserable service.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom