Colin Ferns Richmond

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have no idea why miserable people would get miserable service. A self respecting professional outfit would offer the same level of service to anybody, regardless of their demeanour. Of course, I was not miserable at all until i collected the car. The service had already been carried out (not a service as in the service my car sense, just the service of their operations). I guess it would be accurate to say "Miserable customers get a miserable response, but again, that is counter productive surely. Better to fin out why they are miserable with the service. BTW, a missing trim part that was clearly borken in their care cost £5 to replace from mercedes.

if by funny wheels you mean the standard 8 hole alloys, then yes, it may well have been my car. :p

Ah , it wasn't then.

This one had alloys from a later slk on it. Not wheels from the w124 period.

Re Colin Ferns
I took my w124 cabriolet to them after reading glowing reviews on this website. Worst mistake ever. They did not do what was requested. they failed to pick up a clear leak in the aircon condenser (when i t had been booked in because the aircon was not blowing cold, and they had been informed it had recently been re-gassed). There are other issues. The trim that covers the hood lock on the rear valance was fine and in place when the car was dropped off with them. they were asked to adjust or align the hood as it didnt quite close wihtout being helped. they fixed this, but i suspect broke the plastic catch on the trim as one day later, its missing from the car. They are not interested in taking any responsibility and i will avoid as i found them to be no different from any other back street london garage. what reputation they had must be based on past service levels. When they called to tell me the car was ready, i asked them if the aircond was fixed and was assured it was, all checked and tested, no leaks etc. I live 80 miles away from them and they knew this. I travelled up to pick up the car. i drove it away, within two miles noticed the aricon was blowing warm air. thought it might need some time to get cold. two more miles later, still warm. phones them immediately from the car. they said, bring it straight back (i was only 4 miles from them, 6 minutes drive). drove straight back to them to find they had all gone for lunch. didn't tell me they would not be there when i got back. useless.
Leak in aircon system found within minutes of it going back up on the ramp. clearly they didn't check it properly and for that reason, the slipshod way they operate and the lack of responsibility for breaking a component (the only logical explanation for the hood latch trim going missing after they had it off and on again) I will avoid in the future. I only put this comment up so that it balances what might otherwise be misleading glowing reports. They had every chance to offer to solve the hood latch trim situation, but chose to wash their hands of it.
When i picked the car up, the seat belt butlers were not working either. they worked fine before, then i noticed they didnt work when i picked it up. when i pointed this out, the mechanic started fiddling around in the fuse box. he didnt know what he was doing, but eventually they started working again and are still working. when i asked what he did to make them work, he said "i dont know"

I notice your post count of 3. Did you come on here just have a moan about the service?

All I can think is that there must be some confusion as I know Colin personally and have only ever heard good things about them. If an error was made then they should have the opportunity to put it right, which by the sound of things they did re the air-con.

I'm in a similar business myself and we, from time to time, get customers saying we broke something, or 'it wasn't like that when it came in'. Clearly trying it on. These same customers tend to be those that want everything done but don't want to pay for it. We now take photos of anything untoward we spot before we touch the car. In the unlikely event we did break something we tell the customer and we replace it. This is an honest approach. I'm sure if ?Colin was aware of any damage caused he would have rectified it immediately. He is a decent honest chap.

Well, the answer is no, i didnt come on here just to have a moan. I looked on here first to find a well reviewed mechanical service. i found Colin Ferns and they seemed like a safe bet to me. I paid 200 quid to have my aircon gassed (but it didnt hold the gas) and the hood latch adjusted. I did not expect to get something for nothing at all. As for the trim over the hood latch, well the only people to touch it or remove it were the mechanics at colin ferns. it was on the car when i picked it up, but was not on the car once the roof had been lowered and raised, then lowered again. i can only think it was broken when it was removed or replaced during the hood latch adjustment as that is the only time it would have been touched. Its a small point, but it speaks to the attitude of the garage. They were not interested. and FYI, they didnt "fix" the aircon, they located the leak (which is what should have been done first off) the aircon still does not work as i need a new condenser (now obtained from germany for 70 quid). So i paid for the service. I objected to the refusal to even compromise on the missing trim.

£200 for an aircon regas are they having a giraffe I can't believe that price even darn sarf

£35 for a full aircon service and regas around here

Why was the condenser leak not picked up on the pressure test? Sloppy workmanship or untrained worker?

I would not have been an happy bunny either

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

2rivers,

Where do you live? Couldn't you find anyone competent that was closer?

I'm curious as to why you felt it necessary to pick a place that required a 160 mile round trip for something that sounds like very basic work.

Also, why you didn't take it back to the first place, the one that had recharged the AC when it had a leak? Surely that was the place to start with the AC fix since you'd already paid them for the gas which leaked out 'cos they didn't spot the leak.

Something not adding up here.

£200 for an aircon regas are they having a giraffe I can't believe that price even darn sarf

I paid 200 quid to have my aircon gassed (but it didnt hold the gas) and the hood latch adjusted.
(My bold)

Please read before you type.:fail

Last edited:
spanner said:
(My bold) Please read before you type.:fail

A hood latch adjust would be free around here so by my reckoning if aircon costs £35 that means the hood latch adjustment was £165 ;-)

Doubt you'd find an aircon service and regas within the m25 for £35.

Howard said:
Doubt you'd find an aircon service and regas within the m25 for £35.

I know it's that southern thing again ;-)

Just to add I'm on the pagoda forum and those guys are big fans of colin ferns... Never a bad word..
But let's be objective, mistakes and errors do happen.. Did you speak to colin himself or just one of the tech's?

Says in the tags "spanner" = colin f.

Who put that tag up & when?

Is it true?

A hood latch adjust would be free around here so by my reckoning if aircon costs £35 that means the hood latch adjustment was £165 ;-)

Even if it took more than an hour?

Can you post up the list of garages that offer the hood latch adjustment for free, im sure all the other members in your area would like to know where they can get free work done.

Aircon regas and service for £35?, again, where are these garages?

Halfords are doing it for £28 currently.

£55 a couple of years back , is it a limited period offer ?

Can you post up the list of garages that offer the hood latch adjustment for free, im sure all the other members in your area would like to know where they can get free work done.

Already posted, I always share my good news and trusted garages with members, anyone who takes an hour to adjust a hood latch is either incompetent or trying to do it with boxing gloves on. I've never done one yet that took longer than 15 minutes. A lot of garage around here do free stuff, just had my daughters beetle in for service and a good inspection HERE They changed 2 x interior light bulbs and adjusted the headlight aim and never charged me for it.

Two months ago they did the B Service on My CLK and aircon service, £125 for the service and £35 for the aircon. They changed a rear taillight bulb again free of charge

Top outfit and there are others like it around here :thumb:

Says in the tags "spanner" = colin f.

Who put that tag up & when?

Is it true?

Not a clue if it's true or not but this thread was started in 2009 when anyone could edit the tags on a thread.

Wright Tec in Sidcup. I have lost count of the amount of goodwill/free jobs that Andy has done on my cars over the years. All done without mention or fuss. That has included re-gassing on A/C on one occasion. In turn I have recommended him to many on here and others in person. I have not heard a single complaint about his work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom