Collected '15 G63 AMG - Exhaust advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrAMG63

Car
G63 AMG
Hi guys,

I've recently picked up a 2015 G63 and wanted some advice to open up the soundtrack. I've come from an SVR so I find the G63 is very quiet compared to that!

I'd rather not go down the route of a Akrapovic/Brabus full blown system, instead would like to know what a decent exhaust fabricator can do with the existing pipework. I can't seem to find a diagram anywhere on the internet so not sure what the system looks like from the block and not sure how much work is involved to remove secondary cats etc.

Much appreciated!

IMG-5292.jpg

Welcome, lovely motor, any good exhaust fabricatior worth his salt can do you a nice, Stainless Steel exhaust, where you based? :) 👍

Hi guys,

I've recently picked up a 2015 G63 and wanted some advice to open up the soundtrack. I've come from an SVR so I find the G63 is very quiet compared to that!

I'd rather not go down the route of a Akrapovic/Brabus full blown system, instead would like to know what a decent exhaust fabricator can do with the existing pipework. I can't seem to find a diagram anywhere on the internet so not sure what the system looks like from the block and not sure how much work is involved to remove secondary cats etc.

Much appreciated!

IMG-5292.jpg
Very nice! Where about are you? A member in your area may be able to recommend someone who can do the work in your area. For example, MSL Performance in Birmingham spring to mind.

Brabus/Acra/Supersprint systems are worth their money, because:

- they are bolt on/off and allow you to keep the original pipework intact for when/if you want to go back to the original spec.
- they are resellable
- they take a day or so to fit

Hacking your existing exhaust will mean that:

- your car will be off the road for a while (for a quality job with the proper fit-up, purging and passivating of all weldments)
- it will cost more than the mass produced system above to make
- and even more to reverse

Of course you can always pop in to your local Kwik-Fit for some half-welded gasless MIG seams, but we'll hate you for vandalising the G. FOREVER.

Generally, fitting catless downpipes will give you more noise. M157 is a popular engine so they should be available off the shelf or on short leadtime. I'd keep everything else standard if that's your goal.

Nice '63' and welcome, btw ;-)

Last edited:
Resonator delete.
Most trusted would be MSL if you're up north and PCS if you're down south.

Thanks for the comments and also the kind welcome! She really is a beauty, my first AMG and I'm loving it! I'm based in South Buckinghamshire so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Alex, very valid points you mention there - which systems would you say would suit my needs? The car doesn't do long motorway journeys so I'm not worried about drone, I'd just like to bring out the sound I think the engine deserves (again coming from an SVR, similar volume levels would be nice even though I appreciate that might be difficult!)

If you want the volume you need to remove things - stainless sytems and cat-backs and stuff won't really do that, it'll just make it sound "better". Cats and resonators will limit the volume so the system you buy needs to deal with those with less restrictive units.
I'm certain mine is louder than an SVR. In fact I had a RR SVR give it some beans as it pulled alongside me on the motorway a few weeks ago - wasn't as loud as I expected TBH, maybe it was in the wrong rev range?

Sometimes it’s deceptive with modern cars, as we are used to hearing them from the driver’s seat, usually with the windows closed etc.

My GL63 sounds pretty quiet other than when you open the windows, then you hear a bit of turbo whoosh and V8 woofle, but from the outside it’s noticeably louder - eg when pulling away or driving past etc.

They’re also quite rowdy on a cold start, I wouldn’t personally want mine any louder unless you don’t like your neighbours, or can map the cold start fast idle out a bit! :)

Thanks for the comments and also the kind welcome! She really is a beauty, my first AMG and I'm loving it! I'm based in South Buckinghamshire so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Alex, very valid points you mention there - which systems would you say would suit my needs? The car doesn't do long motorway journeys so I'm not worried about drone, I'd just like to bring out the sound I think the engine deserves (again coming from an SVR, similar volume levels would be nice even though I appreciate that might be difficult!)

If I wanted something that would sound unlike many other M157 out there, I'd go with Akrapovic. That's because thin walled Ti makes a world of difference in sound to the heavier gauge Stainless used by the other two.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you want the volume you need to remove things - stainless sytems and cat-backs and stuff won't really do that, it'll just make it sound "better". Cats and resonators will limit the volume so the system you buy needs to deal with those with less restrictive units.
I'm certain mine is louder than an SVR. In fact I had a RR SVR give it some beans as it pulled alongside me on the motorway a few weeks ago - wasn't as loud as I expected TBH, maybe it was in the wrong rev range?

Thanks for that, do you have any videos of your exhaust? Depends what year SVR it was, the 2018+ are a lot quieter than the pre-2018, also will depend on if it had the valves open or closed.

Sometimes it’s deceptive with modern cars, as we are used to hearing them from the driver’s seat, usually with the windows closed etc.

My GL63 sounds pretty quiet other than when you open the windows, then you hear a bit of turbo whoosh and V8 woofle, but from the outside it’s noticeably louder - eg when pulling away or driving past etc.

They’re also quite rowdy on a cold start, I wouldn’t personally want mine any louder unless you don’t like your neighbours, or can map the cold start fast idle out a bit! :)

Haha the neighbours love the noise! In all fairness the cars don't get started a silly o'clock in the morning so it's not really an issue. When the Mrs pops to the high street, I could definitely hear the SVR even with the valves closed, however the last few days I didn't really notice the G63 leave or come back.

If I wanted something that would sound unlike many other M157 out there, I'd go with Akrapovic. That's because thin walled Ti makes a world of difference in sound to the heavier gauge Stainless used by the other two.

I'll certainly do some research into the Akrapovic!

Thanks for that, do you have any videos of your exhaust? Depends what year SVR it was, the 2018+ are a lot quieter than the pre-2018, also will depend on if it had the valves open or closed.

Only dashcam, which doesn't pick it up at all, you just get wind and road noise.

Each to their own, but to be honest that sounds awful to me! :doh:

I'd add a recommendation for Imran at MSL to remove the resonator unless you are thinking of turbo bypass downpipes. The two modifications make it really loud. Got a clip of my M157 after a resonator delete and it makes a big difference when on the throttle.

I'd add a recommendation for Imran at MSL to remove the resonator unless you are thinking of turbo bypass downpipes. The two modifications make it really loud. Got a clip of my M157 after a resonator delete and it makes a big difference when on the throttle.
It's the cracks and barks that I love about res delete.
PCS is probably closer for the OP though, straight down the A3.

^ Yes, the downshifts are a real laugh too.

The SVR has a harder edge to the sound which makes it seem louder than modern AMGs, like the difference between a slap/smack and a thump - a smack sounds louder than a thump even if the force behind it is the same.

I don't know but I suspect that this has something to do with M157/M177/M178 (AMGs) being turbocharged, and which has the effect of knocking the hard/sharp edge of the sound, making it rumble.

Personally I would embrace the sound of the G 63 rather than attempt to recreate the noise of the SVR, because the engines will forever sound different, no matter what you do.

Enjoy your new car, it looks fantastic!

That sounds fantastic! Regarding turbo bypass downpipe, do you have an example of what that sounds like?

That sounds fantastic! Regarding turbo bypass downpipe, do you have an example of what that sounds like?

Plenty of youtube clips.
This one is just catless downpipes

There doesn't seem to be a clip with downpipes and resonator removed, but trust me, its loud.

If you go for either or both modifications, Imran is the guy to see.
Acid at MSL will probably talk you round to a remap while you are there:D

Plenty of youtube clips.
This one is just catless downpipes

There doesn't seem to be a clip with downpipes and resonator removed, but trust me, its loud.

If you go for either or both modifications, Imran is the guy to see.
Acid at MSL will probably talk you round to a remap while you are there:D
Sounds good to these old ears!

^ It certainly does. Not sure whether the extra noise and 40bhp is worth over £2k though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom