Collected '15 G63 AMG - Exhaust advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Plenty of youtube clips.
This one is just catless downpipes
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There doesn't seem to be a clip with downpipes and resonator removed, but trust me, its loud.

If you go for either or both modifications, Imran is the guy to see.
Acid at MSL will probably talk you round to a remap while you are there:D
Fantastic, that’s the kind of sound the car deserves, that throaty bark is exactly what I’d want. Removing the resonator seems like the sensible step, with the Decat downpipe it will definitely require a remap and then MOT issues.

Unless the primary cats are enough to pass emissions without having the secondary cats?

Fantastic, that’s the kind of sound the car deserves, that throaty bark is exactly what I’d want. Removing the resonator seems like the sensible step, with the Decat downpipe it will definitely require a remap and then MOT issues.

Unless the primary cats are enough to pass emissions without having the secondary cats?

M157 engines only have primary cats. There are no secondaries.
If you go catless you'll need to have the O2 sensors mapped out regardless of the MOT issues.
There are some brands that make catted downpipes that are far better than OEM manifolds that are restrictive due to the shape.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I've recently picked up a 2015 G63 and wanted some advice to open up the soundtrack. I've come from an SVR so I find the G63 is very quiet compared to that!

I'd rather not go down the route of a Akrapovic/Brabus full blown system, instead would like to know what a decent exhaust fabricator can do with the existing pipework. I can't seem to find a diagram anywhere on the internet so not sure what the system looks like from the block and not sure how much work is involved to remove secondary cats etc.

Much appreciated!
Welcome and lovely motor. I would be interested in your views, long or short on the SVR 😊

The SVR has a harder edge to the sound which makes it seem louder than modern AMGs, like the difference between a slap/smack and a thump - a smack sounds louder than a thump even if the force behind it is the same.

I don't know but I suspect that this has something to do with M157/M177/M178 (AMGs) being turbocharged, and which has the effect of knocking the hard/sharp edge of the sound, making it rumble.

Personally I would embrace the sound of the G 63 rather than attempt to recreate the noise of the SVR, because the engines will forever sound different, no matter what you do.

Enjoy your new car, it looks fantastic!
Thank you! I really like the character of the G63 sound, just want to unlock it a bit more:)

M157 engines only have primary cats. There are no secondaries.
If you go catless you'll need to have the O2 sensors mapped out regardless of the MOT issues.
There are some brands that make catted downpipes that are far better than OEM manifolds that are restrictive due to the shape.
That clears a lot of things up for me thank you. What other restrictions are there after the downpipes, any restrictions in the centre pipes? Or does it just go downpipes -----> resonator -----> back box?

Welcome and lovely motor. I would be interested in your views, long or short on the SVR 😊
The SVR is an excellent car, the way it performs, handles, comfort etc really makes it feel like a well put together machine. Definitely would have another, but had to itch the G63 urge i've had for a very long time. No regrets so far by the way! The G is definitely more of a tank in every aspect, also a lot better of a drive than I expected (I think a lot of people exaggerate the 'terrible' drive)...it actually suits the nature of the vehicle very well.

IMG-0909.jpg

Check out Capristo Exhaust system. Not as costly as Akrapovic but sounds immense.

That clears a lot of things up for me thank you. What other restrictions are there after the downpipes, any restrictions in the centre pipes? Or does it just go downpipes -----> resonator -----> back box?

Yes, that's it. The resonator is at the rear of the system close to where the pipes branch out either side toward the back boxes.
Imran cuts the pipes ether side of the resonator and and welds in new stainless straight pipes. He'll wrap up your resonator to take away in case you want it refitted any time.

Yes, that's it. The resonator is at the rear of the system close to where the pipes branch out either side toward the back boxes.
Imran cuts the pipes ether side of the resonator and and welds in new stainless straight pipes. He'll wrap up your resonator to take away in case you want it refitted any time.
Thank you:)
How restrictive are the back boxes? Is this something people also modify along with deleting the resonator?

Definitely go for a bespoke fabricated system over an off the shelf upgrade. As has been mentioned already contact Imran at Torque Flow who works out of MSL Performance. Between him and Acid they will have done some G63’s already as well as many, many M157 engined cars including my own 900bhp beast a few years ago.

Fantastic car you have......

Definitely go for a bespoke fabricated system over an off the shelf upgrade. As has been mentioned already contact Imran at Torque Flow who works out of MSL Performance. Between him and Acid they will have done some G63’s already as well as many, many M157 engined cars including my own 900bhp beast a few years ago.

Fantastic car you have......
Thanks for your reply, 900bhp sounds tasty! What was done to make it so powerful?

So I rang Torque Flow and I was told there are no resonators on my car. So would I need to get the back boxes modified to make it bark like the E63’s posted above?

Thanks for your reply, 900bhp sounds tasty! What was done to make it so powerful?

So I rang Torque Flow and I was told there are no resonators on my car. So would I need to get the back boxes modified to make it bark like the E63’s posted above?

I'd add a recommendation for Imran at MSL to remove the resonator unless you are thinking of turbo bypass downpipes. The two modifications make it really loud. Got a clip of my M157 after a resonator delete and it makes a big difference when on the throttle.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That sounds good, in regards to the resonator delete can this be put back to standard?

If you are south bucks PCW exhaust mods would be worth a look. Had this on an old M135i and would recommend.

Love the new car too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom