Collective insanity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
is the only term I can use to describe yesterday. Often said that standards of general behaviour are dropping but that is wrong. They have dropped already and seem to be getting worse.

It was supposed to be easy: self & Mrs S. to drive 120 miles to drop/collect aged/infirm relatives then 140 back home including detour to drop them off. So, 7.00am yesterday off we go and sure enough little traffic. There before 9.00am. Splendid. Huge brekky at arranged meeting point and wait for in-laws to turn up so we can do an exchange of hostages.

We wait. And wait. They turn up at 12.00 after dreadful journey.

So getting back was not quite so easy. Took five hours thanks to many delays but during that journey experienced and witnessed idiotic behaviour and sheer ignorance on the grand scale.

So here we go with the edited Top Ten highlights of 140 miles and 5 hours

1. Dual Carriageway A road. Despite my being in lane two and not hanging about at that moment, biker overtakes me on the outside at least 50mph above my speed, proceeds to do the same to the car in front before vanishing into distance weaving in and out of traffic. Maybe he got there.

2. Audi A4 undertaking everybody by simple expedient of driving along hard shoulder at 85mph+.

3. Three lane stretch of motorway, pull out of services. Indicate and then into lane 2 to pass heavy vehicle also having left services. Loads of space to do so. Lane 3 is empty in front and empty behind. Yet a silver C class coming up behind either is daydreaming or considers it to be beneath her dignity to pull out into (wholly empty) lane 3 to pass and so eventually has to do a panic brake & goes into flashy lighty strop.

Tailgates until I tire of this and pull away. Lane 3 is still empty so this cretin then decides to occupy it and sit there. At least she blocked the other traffic for a while but otherwsie not fit to be in charge of a roller skate.

4. Small cars full and loaded to roof, crawling or wobbing about at high speed: far, far too many.

5. People who cannot filter 2 > 1 without making it look like a bunch of retards fighting to get through a door at the same time: many

6. Downhill only tailgaters in really crappy cars: many.

7. Caravans. Oh yes, a few of these abominations but this time trumped by:

8. Motorhomes! Must have been a rally because loads of them and mostly towing a small car behind. No doubt very useful, seem just to slow them down even more and add to general instabilty.

9. Elder citizens who really, really should be asking themselves if they are OK to be driving any more: rather a lot I regret to say

10. Sales frenzy: Now this is my own fault but it was so depressing.

By now feeling a bit groggy & foolishly agreed to drop into a big retail park so Mrs S. could get some stuff. OhGodohGodohGodohGod it was a nightmare, even at 5.30pm. People were going nuts, the veneer of civilsation having long since been stripped away. Huge car park, loads of spaces in one section but that was, oooohh, a 200 yard walk from entrance. So I parked up in relative peace but could see the carnage.

Whole areas of the car park near the entrance had turned into a gridlocked war zone with cars "parked" in stupid places causing yet more chaos and trolleys just being left and cloggng the place up. Mrs S. returned very soon, empty handed but grim faced, bearing tales of catfights, stout matrons bellowing at each other and general lunacy. Took 25 minutes to get out onto main road and the main exodus had not even started.

It was sh1te. Absolute misery and I can see this sort of thing becoming the norm.

I just read that brent cross was taking £800 a second in sales... thats nuts!

p.s. if you want to shop somewhere in the sales, get to birmingham before noon, it seems everyone wakes up in the pm in brummyland...

Satch said:
It was sh1te. Absolute misery and I can see this sort of thing becoming the norm.

You obviously don't get out much. Apart from item 10 you've described a typical day's traffic. The norm is now.

Happy New Year. :D

The sadest thing that i saw was in a car park in Lyme Regis on Boxing day. there were at least 300 empty places, yet a woman squeezed her 240 estate into a gap between the only other two cars in the park. She was so close to this new Lexus that her door was jammed hard against it while she tried to get out. Her husband was pushing hard the other side.

Malcolm

DieselE said:
You obviously don't get out much. Apart from item 10 you've described a typical day's traffic. The norm is now.

Happy New Year. :D

Ah, those were just the highlights. What really gripped my proverbial was the sheer number, frequency and stupidity of the incidents. Despite being a regular user of those roads and the viper pit that is the M25 never had so many in such a short space of time.

Maybe it is the holiday drivers.

Satch said:
;) I think the days of courteous driving are just a distant memory. I wonder how many of us qualify as polite, courteous and understanding drivers?

Just to follow up on that, I wonder how many folks are now say, "If I was courteous I would get walked all over!" :eek: :)

I sympathise with you and perhaps a lay down on the couch, a glass or three of your favourite tipple and deeeep breaths.... In through the nose

Out through the mouth

In through the nose.........

Out through the mouth

Then more tipple

Glad you survived the ordeal,

Regards,
John

Having just spent Christmas in Surrey I can sympathise. We went down the M62/M1 on Christmas eve and it was ok apart from every junction where an out of town shopping centre was situated and all the people in a hurry stayed in the outside lane until the 100 yard exit marker. It caused chaos.

Fortunately our journey was made so much better on the M25 when I discovered they have built a tourist lane on the inside. This was marvellous as I had cruise control set at 70 from Junction 21 to Junction 9 without braking or changing lanes once.
All the other drivers must have been local and seemed quite happy accellerating and braking for miles on end in the other lanes. Many times a local car entered the motorway and accellerated rapidly in front of me into lane 2 then braked sharply so as not to impede my progress which I though was a nice gesture.
I did find it odd that so many drivers seemed to be disabled though because as I waved to say thank you, so many who waved back only had 2 or sometimes only 1 finger.
Maybe they lost them in car doors as they simply had to have the nearest parking space to the entrance at the shopping Mall.

Satch said:
is the only term I can use to describe yesterday. Often said that standards of general behaviour are dropping but that is wrong. They have dropped already and seem to be getting worse.

It was supposed to be easy: self & Mrs S. to drive 120 miles to drop/collect aged/infirm relatives then 140 back home including detour to drop them off. So, 7.00am yesterday off we go and sure enough little traffic. There before 9.00am. Splendid. Huge brekky at arranged meeting point and wait for in-laws to turn up so we can do an exchange of hostages.

We wait. And wait. They turn up at 12.00 after dreadful journey.

So getting back was not quite so easy. Took five hours thanks to many delays but during that journey experienced and witnessed idiotic behaviour and sheer ignorance on the grand scale.

So here we go with the edited Top Ten highlights of 140 miles and 5 hours

1. Dual Carriageway A road. Despite my being in lane two and not hanging about at that moment, biker overtakes me on the outside at least 50mph above my speed, proceeds to do the same to the car in front before vanishing into distance weaving in and out of traffic. Maybe he got there.

2. Audi A4 undertaking everybody by simple expedient of driving along hard shoulder at 85mph+.

3. Three lane stretch of motorway, pull out of services. Indicate and then into lane 2 to pass heavy vehicle also having left services. Loads of space to do so. Lane 3 is empty in front and empty behind. Yet a silver C class coming up behind either is daydreaming or considers it to be beneath her dignity to pull out into (wholly empty) lane 3 to pass and so eventually has to do a panic brake & goes into flashy lighty strop.

Tailgates until I tire of this and pull away. Lane 3 is still empty so this cretin then decides to occupy it and sit there. At least she blocked the other traffic for a while but otherwsie not fit to be in charge of a roller skate.

4. Small cars full and loaded to roof, crawling or wobbing about at high speed: far, far too many.

5. People who cannot filter 2 > 1 without making it look like a bunch of retards fighting to get through a door at the same time: many

6. Downhill only tailgaters in really crappy cars: many.

7. Caravans. Oh yes, a few of these abominations but this time trumped by:

8. Motorhomes! Must have been a rally because loads of them and mostly towing a small car behind. No doubt very useful, seem just to slow them down even more and add to general instabilty.

9. Elder citizens who really, really should be asking themselves if they are OK to be driving any more: rather a lot I regret to say

10. Sales frenzy: Now this is my own fault but it was so depressing.

By now feeling a bit groggy & foolishly agreed to drop into a big retail park so Mrs S. could get some stuff. OhGodohGodohGodohGod it was a nightmare, even at 5.30pm. People were going nuts, the veneer of civilsation having long since been stripped away. Huge car park, loads of spaces in one section but that was, oooohh, a 200 yard walk from entrance. So I parked up in relative peace but could see the carnage.

Whole areas of the car park near the entrance had turned into a gridlocked war zone with cars "parked" in stupid places causing yet more chaos and trolleys just being left and cloggng the place up. Mrs S. returned very soon, empty handed but grim faced, bearing tales of catfights, stout matrons bellowing at each other and general lunacy. Took 25 minutes to get out onto main road and the main exodus had not even started.

M3 then A303 ? Sounds just like it..... :(

Seamster15 said:
M3 then A303 ? Sounds just like it..... :(

Give that man a cigar.

Just as I thought... looking foward to the round trip I am doing tomorrow now...... Guildford to Teignmouth and back again.

WHY CANT PEOPLE FILTER!!!!!!!!!

Seamster15 said:
Just as I thought... looking foward to the round trip I am doing tomorrow now...... Guildford to Teignmouth and back again.

I'll give you a wave :D I can usually see Teignmouth from my room window. Weather conditions today are not pleasant. Quite a thick mist with strong winds and rain.

Take lots of care and have a safe journey,

Regards,
John

Seamster15 said:

Leave early! Going to be a wet one which never helps.

Normal Saturdays I would leave 06.30 at the latest or risk not being past Honiton before they all start to come out. But it is not a normal Saturday.......

It will be an early one, 7am if I can get my dads dog in the car! I can normally make it to Teignmouth in 3 hours, so we should miss most of the idiots. Saying that, if its becoming busy on the way back I may have to sneak across on the Southampton road (A35?) and up the M3 or A3.

I must just remember to take deep breaths and count very slowly to 10!

Simon

Just got back!

337 miles, 5h31 mins, 37mpg.

I think I had it easy by all accounts, a few "duffers" on the road but all in all quite an easy journey.

As always the queue south at Sonehenge was massive!

John,

I did wave from the fair shores of Teignmouth over to IMD, Torquay but I guess you were still in bed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom