Collision prevent assist - is this "AEB"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starlight

Car
C220d AMG Premium Line Plus (2018)
I can't for the life of me find a definitive answer to this.

I'm about to buy a 2018 C220d AMG Line Premium. The spec includes "collision prevention assist" (not "collision prevention assist plus").

I know that when I put the car on my motor insurance policy I'll be asked if it has an autonomous emergency braking (AEB).

Can anyone please tell me if collision prevention assist equates to AEB?

I used to own a 2015 C-220d Sport Premium with the "assist" system. Sometimes it would fire off a warning sound if it thought I was too close to something (oddly, some street lamps could be a trigger, though very rarely). Never got to a situation which needed the brakes applied urgently.

What insurance company are you with. I have never been asked if it has "I'll be asked if it has an autonomous emergency braking (AEB).

I've also never been asked about AEB, but the answer is surely yes as it will brake the car in an emergency. The first phase is the red light on the cluster, second is the audible alert, third is it braking the car. IIRC the difference with the 'plus' version is that it also detects traffic coming in from either side ahead of you.

PS I think it's officially called 'Active Brake Assist'?

To chick0821: My insurers are LV=. I recently owned a C220d Sport Premium and got a discount for AEB. Now, as you'd gather, not so sure that collision prevention assist meets that standard. This is obviously important: if you have declared the vehicle to have AEB, then get involved in a crash and it turns out there wasn't an AEB feature... well you can guess how an insurer would handle that.

To BTB 500: Thanks for that. Driving the C220d Sport Premium I've experienced the red light and the warning sound... but mercifully it never got to the stage of braking unnecessarily. To be on the ultra-cautious side, I've asked the question of M-B UK but not hopeful they'll be helpful. Interesting on the meaning of "plus" - hadn't been able to find that out.

I've never been asked either and I doubt any insurance firm would . What does the data card say ?

Mine lists it as
258COLLIS.WARN. SYS. W/ ACTIVE BRAKE INTERV. FCW STOP

I've never been asked either and I doubt any insurance firm would . What does the data card say ?
No data card since I haven't taken delivery. Now read that some insurers will apply a premium discount as high as 15% for AEB - but less than sure about that. Still, you'd think that AEB would reduce the risk of an expensive claim.

Mine lists it as
258COLLIS.WARN. SYS. W/ ACTIVE BRAKE INTERV. FCW STOP
And just be 100% clear... LV= do ask and "AEB" was listed on the C220d Sport Premium policy docs.

Just renewed my multi-car policy with Aviva. The Suzuki has AEB, the W204 does not. I wasn't asked regarding either car, though.

To BTB 500: Thanks for that. Driving the C220d Sport Premium I've experienced the red light and the warning sound... but mercifully it never got to the stage of braking unnecessarily. To be on the ultra-cautious side, I've asked the question of M-B UK but not hopeful they'll be helpful. Interesting on the meaning of "plus" - hadn't been able to find that out.

I have a 2019 C300 Sport Premium - from the manual:

Capture.JPG

And just be 100% clear... LV= do ask and "AEB" was listed on the C220d Sport Premium policy docs.
Who's the insurer , someone at Malta??

@starlight The EuroNCAP report from testing the W205 when it was first introduced states that AEB is fitted as standard. It's listed as "Collision Prevention Assist PLUS" in the report. The report itself is interesting if you're interested in seeing how the C class responds with AEB at different speeds. However, I think from 2016 onwards, they called it Active Brake Assist instead.

From the report, "Collision Prevention Assist PLUS®, fitted as standard equipment, is an autonomous braking system that works at low speeds typical of city driving and at higher speeds, typical of the open road. The system was effective at avoiding collisions up to certain speeds and mitigating them (lowering the severity of the impact) at higher speeds"

Yes, LV do ask if you have AEB (when I tried a renewal quote today online), but often the insurance group rating of a car with standard fitment AEB will be lower, so it's typically not asked by an insurer, as the insurance group already reflects whether it's standard equipment for that model.

From a 2016 Guardian article;

"Having a car with AEB fitted as standard can result in considerably lower premiums, depending on the driver’s age. A 30-year-old driving a 1L Ford Focus EcoBoost with AEB can expect to pay £613.54 – 14% less than the same car without AEB, which costs £718.05.

The same driver aged 50 would pay just under £340 with AEB and almost £490 without – a 30% saving. But the reductions appear to stop at pensioners: a 70-year-old will save just 3%, according to AA insurance figures.

There is an initial cost though. The Ford Focus EcoBoost Titanium with AEB fitted as standard is £20,345 – £1,500 more than the EcoBoost Zetec, which comes without AEB."

No data card since I haven't taken delivery. Now read that some insurers will apply a premium discount as high as 15% for AEB - but less than sure about that. Still, you'd think that AEB would reduce the risk of an expensive claim.
check the data card online as i just did for mine. :) you just need the vin number .

We have this in the Gle63s and in the GT and hate it, flashing bleeping and braking at random things

Motor insurers are a baffling bunch.

Active Brake Assist (whether "plus" or not) is Autonomous Emergency Braking and is standard equipment on many Mercedes-Benz models. The key part of that statement is "standard equipment", which means that it wasn't a purchaser's decision whether or not to specify it when the car was bought new. Asking the proposer whether or not it's fitted is therefore a superfluous question.

Just renewed my multi-car policy with Aviva. The Suzuki has AEB, the W204 does not. I wasn't asked regarding either car, though.
The C-Class model number is W205 from 2014 onwards (including the 2018 facelift) - or so I believe.

The C-Class model number is W205 from 2014 onwards (including the 2018 facelift) - or so I believe.

The W205 (C-Class Saloon) replaced the W204 in mid-2014. However, the C204 (C-Class Coupe) lingered-on till 2015, and was only replaced by the C205 on 2016. Mine is a 2013 W204.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom