Colour fading - prevention?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
I know its not an MB (it wouldn't be, because generally MB paints don't fade), but my mum's honda is shiny red all round except the roof. Its beginning to fade and its quite obvious.

Is there any known methods/products out there to prevent this?

More restoration than prevention, but would it do any hard to use t-cut or similar once a year to restore the shine? I wonder how many applications of t-cut can be used before you make the paint too thin?

I had a red Honda Accord many years ago and the colour used to fade something terrible , going white powdery ....

I used to T-cut every 3 months and then build up layers of polish/wax.

Red Hondas seem to fade worse than any other car !

Red and blue are the worst colours for fading.
All you can do is polish it back then make sure it's always coated with wax/sealer with a UV guard in.
You could have the paint lacquered to stop this happening, but might end up with the roof being shinier than the rest of the body.

More restoration than prevention, but would it do any hard to use t-cut or similar once a year to restore the shine? I wonder how many applications of t-cut can be used before you make the paint too thin?

Thats whats putting me off T-Cut, as I know it shaves a very thin layer off the paint.

Dieselman's idea of lacquer seems logical. It might seem more shiny than the rest of the car, but the rest of the car is very shiny and the roof is a bit plain at the moment! not quite sure what to do

I could just trade it in and get her a different colour... but its a really nice car with no accident damage (which is rare with these cars!)

Solid red on older cars is dreadfult to keep shiny - as was doom(solid) blue. It is because no lacquer was applied on older cars with solid paint. Its not as great an issue on newer cars. The only answer is regular polishing or a paint treatment like supagard. We have a 1997 VW polo in chagal blue which was dreadful to keep looking good. Had supagard put on 2 yrs ago(toyota dealer had a special offer) and it still looks like new today.

All you can do is polish it back then make sure it's always coated with wax/sealer with a UV guard in.
This really is a "prevention is better than cure" scenario. As DM says, make sure it's regularly polished with a product containing a UV filter & it won't fade in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom