Colour Rings on Tyres

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by markjay, Jan 4, 2012.

1. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    There have been several threads regarding the purpose of the coloured rings on tyres. It seems that some new tyres have them, while others do not.

I was not able to find any official word from the tyre manufacturers - they seem not to be saying anything about this.

This is what I did find:

1. Most of the information I found on the Internet was written by tyre experts, who all agree that this is some sort of 'bar-coding' system that the tyre manufactures use, mainly as part of the manufacturing process.

2. Some also say that only tyres made as OEM for car manufacturers have coloured rings - so in essence any tyre with colour rings sold at a tyre shop is surplus as it was originally made to be supplied to a car factory to be fitted on a new car, rather than being sold as retail. According to this, retail tyres do not have such coloured rings.

3. However, two experts, and one of them is someone I personally hold in very high regard - Tony Bones from Wheels in Motion - say that while most rings are indeed just an internal bar-code and as such have no importance to the customer, one ring is of great importance, read here:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres/99918-new-tyres-their-radial-markings.html

4. Someone on this forum also suggested that MO tyres differ from non-MO tyres in that all MO tyres have the same radial marking, i.e. the deviation is always the same (see Tony's post above).

My experience? I bought 4 new Michelins at Costco recently (not for the Merc), three had coloured rings, all different, and one had no rings at all.

I then Bought 4 Conti MOs a couple of months ago, all four had identical coloured rings at the same location. One of the new Contis had a puncture and needed replacing, and lo and behold the new Conti Mo I bought today had the exact same colour marking as the four purchased two months ago - in spite of the fact that its manufacturing date was different so it would have come from a different batch to the original four Conti MOs.

I wonder what are other members experienced?

1 person likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    This is the new Conti MO I bought today, with identical markings to its other siblings:

[​IMG]