Comand 2.0 add tv/dvd/rear camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mickeyw

Car
CLK 320 Cabriolet
Hi Guys, I have an old comand unit out of my old CLK (1999) which I will be fitting into my 2002 320 cabriolet. Does anyone know if you can actually make use of the TV button and add pictures or sound? Also, how do you add a rear camera view? Only just got the car and it has been put straight in my garage to be worked on over the winter months. The intention is for it to be ready for next summer looking immaculate.

Cheers.

The Comand 2 unit only supports the old analogue D2B TV tuner so pointless fitting that. Also there is no rear camera input for comand 2.

You may find a third party kit from somewhere like Media In Motion that offers D2B digital TV but these systems are so old now its unlikely there are any around.

As I expected Alfie, nothing off the shelf. But I have a screen so there must be a way of connecting to it inside the unit somehow? I think it`s multi-meter time!!!

TV will require a digital TV tuner, as for reversing camera, best ask COMAND ON line
Catalog

For the reversing cam you'll need an adaptor to convert the composite from the camera to RBG which the COMAND requires.

They can be found on ebay - Multimedia Adapter IMA Interface Comand 2.0 Cable Plug F MERCEDES E W210 | eBay

TBH though you could fit a custom android unit which would make it a lot easier.

I'm looking at something like this for my S203 - Car SatNav Mercedes Android 8.0 C,CLK,G Class W203 W209 DAB+ GPS DVD BT 7"7863GB | eBay

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I have an old comand unit out of my old CLK (1999) which I will be fitting into my 2002 320 cabriolet. Does anyone know if you can actually make use of the TV button and add pictures or sound? Also, how do you add a rear camera view? Only just got the car and it has been put straight in my garage to be worked on over the winter months. The intention is for it to be ready for next summer looking immaculate.

Cheers.
If you can divert the display RGB & Sync input signals from the head unit to a video processor with several CVBS inputs, then you can add a reversing camera (the video processor should switch automatically to show the Rear view on the COMAND display) and a digital TV box.
TV sound will come through an FM stereo re-broadcaster and to comply with the law TV display should turn off when the car is moving. In the UK TV stations are not mobile, so you have to re-tune frequently, but for local travel can be OK. And Freeview has loads of Radio stations, which, if you work it right, remain available even when the TV display is off
Cost is likely to exceed £250, but the build can be rewarding.
I have done this in my NTG2 2008 CLK, but yours may be an earlier generation.
Christopher

Thats what I did when I had Comand2.0 The audio amp blew so fitted Kenwood and have never looked back

as above, always double check compatibility, but the link above is to a different part number. Same seller so its easy to clarify.

I just ordered an android head unit to replace my comand one, it should be plug and play and has quite a few options you can choose from, not super cheap but probably far less faff than bodging on extras to the old set up and has the benefits of hands free phone etc etc.

One of these.

Have to agree with your comment Mr Toaster. An Android unit would give me so many new features. I think thats the way forwards.

Don't buy the one i linked to, bunch of clowns i just demanded my money back. despite the web page claiming the unit fits my model, they emailed me wanting me to disassemble my dash and send the measurements so they could send me the right unit as the one listed does not fit my car.

I refuse to give any company money that is plainly just making up shit to attract customers.

I think people have successfully fitted Xtrons android units. (They have a uk based outlet) find on eBay / Amazon . Hope you get your money back promptly.

I bought a Double DIN Xtron TE706PL as it happens, it's in and functional but I've had to order a separate CANBUS adapter to get my steering wheel controls working which hasn't arrived yet. I'm also going to 3d print a fascia adapter to fill in the gap left round the edges because the head unit is smaller than the old COMAND one and there is a gap round the edge, but I'll sort that out when I pull the unit to fit the CANBUS adapter as it will be easier to get the measurements I need to model it with the unit out of the way.

Also, just so you know, if you take the COMAND out of your W210 you can't set the clock unless you have it recoded to tell it the satnav is gone. :mad::eek:o_O:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom