Comand 2.0 sudden distortion over the speakers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nippa

Car
R230 SL55 AMG, R230 SL350, W203 C180K, searching for a rustless, unmolested Fiat Barchetta LE.
Hi all,

My Comand 2.0 D2B (standard, non Bose) has had bad distortion since I took my 2003 R230 SL 350 in to the garage and welding took place under the battery tray and the tray was replaced due to a battery acid leak that occured before I owned the car, this may be a co-incidence though but it was fine when I took it in and not when I collected it 3 days later. The right door speaker seems worse that left, hard to tell and hard to know if this is affecting all speakers as I can only fade between left and right. Distortion reduces somewhat when volume is turned up and posibly improves over time on each individual journey, although this may be a figment of my imagination.

I don't think it's the speaker itself, as it appears to affect both channels and turning up the volume seems to sort things, though I'm not sure, I don't want to start buying parts needlessly to go through a process of elimination.

Incidentally, this hs been tested on bluetooth, radio and CD changer and the distortion applies to all.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Mark

Sounds like COMAND may well have been damaged somehow (spike from electric welder?). First try disconnecting the ground lead on the battery for a couple of minutes, and re-connect - and if that doesn't fix it, then Talk to Alfie at www.comand.co.uk

Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard, many thanks for your reply, I'll try disconnecting the ground lead this weekend.

Interestingly, using car today showed no sign of the problem which would confirm that the speakers are not the problem.

Cheers,
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom