COMAND 2.0 W163 no speed impulse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

warrentranter

Car
Mercedes Ml270
Hi, this is my first post here so thanks in advance.

I have issues with the COMAND 2.0 fitted to my ML270 W163. I have read on here how to access the diagnostic menus and have found that I connect from 3 - 5 SATS but SPEED is 0.

I purchased an original disc as I thought it may have something to do with that, but to no avail! I have owned the car for 1 week today, and the only issue is the SATNAV on the COMAND.

If any one can offer any advice please as I drive to the Isle of Wight on Monday and would like the unit working!

Thanks

Ring Mark or Richard at comand.co.uk if you are desperate.

They usually post the answers to these sort of questions , but imagine they haven't logged on today.

From memory, and I'm fully prepared to be corrected on this, the COMAND fitted to the ML class doesn't take the speed information from Canbus, it needs a separate speed pulse wire.

Is your COMAND an original factory fitted option or is it a retrofit?

If it's original it could be the wire has fallen out of the back of the unit, or a speed sensor is faulty. Have you any ABS/ESP fault lights showing?

If it's a retrofit, whoever installed it may have neglected to connect the speed pulse wire or even installed the wrong unit. The ML needs a specific COMAND.

W163 and w208 share the same comand , but they need coding to the particular car.

I have a comand in my clk from an ml , but Mark had to code it as initially it thought it was in an ml still and didn't work properly.

He picked up a speed pulse wire from the tray in the passenger door sill.

Howard speaks the truth.

Taken from MercUpgrades.com

You should purchase the part starting with the correct code for your car otherwise the catch mechanism will be wrong, the gyroscope angle will be wrong, and at a minimum it won�t work until a MB dealer has re-coded it, and in fact it may not work. This is because different units expect the Speed, Reverse and Lighting signals to be wired either via the car�s CAN bus, or via discrete wiring, and cannot easily be changed.

Be ware that if you have one of the earliest CLK or E (ie model year 1999 and before) then you need to purchase the exact unit that would have been in the car, or a M class unit – consult your MB parts department for the part number. The older cars do not have CAN bus connected to the radio/command (and nor does the M class).

Also, if you are installing in a ML (or a car not designed for COMAND) you must by a ML unit – although some W208 CLK units can be made to function.

Interesting , mine isn't an early car :dk:

unfortunately i have only owned the car for one week, so i don't know if the previous owner retro fitted it. I do know it came with the latest maps, copies! So i think it was functional. I have purchased original disc to no avail.

it has had the 3mm jack fitted and also a non standard Bluetooth device.

I'm clueless!

and no fault warnings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom