Comand 2. Aux to USB advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I have command 2 in my 2003 S210 and would like to run a cable from the Aux port to a USB stick in the glove box.

Has anyone done this?
Are cables available?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Assuming the aux inputs aren't already installed and it's a mini jack input for example, you'd simply just need a male jack to female USB cable

Not sure if the system would then read mp3's or the like, but that's the kind of cable I'm guessing you'd need

What form does the Aux port take?

As yet, I'm not sure without seeing a diagram or taking the unit out to have a look.
On ebay, there are all sorts of cables which I think might do the job, but I don't want to buy the wrong type.
If anyone has done the job or knows for sure what I need to use, that would be a big help. :thumb:

The AUX on Comand 2 was designed about 20 years ago, (1996 possibly earlier) and thus is a dumb aux. (i.e left, right, ground) and is presented as a 3.5mm socket in the glovebox (although for a while Mercedes got cheapskate and didn't bother to install it).

You therefore can't connect any fancy USB->AUX adapters to it, as at a minimum it has no power-supply to feed the USB stick.

You could just put an (cheap, eBay, used) iPod in there connected to AUX via headphone socket, and also add a USB power socket to the glovebox (or centre armrest)

- This would give you a "user interface" on the iPod to select your music

Richard

Thanks for the detailed reply, Richard.

From a picture from the previous owner, it looks as though there may well be a set up already in place that is along the lines of what you have mentioned.

20160423_105508.jpg

I'll take a look in the daylight tomorrow. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom