Comand 4.5 update March 2014

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by chrisdean, Apr 13, 2014.

1. chrisdean

chrisdean Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
    Anyone had their W204 NTG4.5 Comand updated recently, just saw a post elsewhere that V10 2014 came out last month, I'm currently on V9 2013/14?

2. richard

richard Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    MY04 SL55, MY17 GLC250d AMG Sport
    We've just got the V10 install disk set for NTG4.5. I was going to announce it once i had had a MB dealer generate a V10 PIN so I know it is properly available.

Sometimes the install disks are available before you can generate a PIN.

3. alzieboy

alzieboy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350CDI sport Coupe / VW Golf 2.0 GT TDi
    I had my E350 Coupe in for its first A service on the 8/4/2014 , I asked for any Firmware/ Software updates to be done. Before I took the car in I checked the map version on the unit which was V7 , after the service the map version was V9 2013/14 !!! so NO V10 update for me :(

4. OP
    OP
    chrisdean

Car:
    Do these updates do anything to the COMAND software or are they limited to just the navigation? I presume that the Gracenote database gets refreshed, but will an update to V10 bring my NTG4.5 version 1 up to V2? I know v3 is impossible because the hardware has changed.

5. alzieboy

Car:
    On my service invoice it states
    Carried out Sat Nav update during service visit
    Carried out Service Measure 4468 Command unit Software Update

6. OP
    OP
    chrisdean

Car:
    I'm not expecting to pay for the map updates because I'm still within the 3 years from new but were you charged for COMAND update?

7. alzieboy

Car:
    No charge for the Updates , Just wish they could sort out why the command system will not read from a sd card , trying to install personal POI :crazy:

8. aikjones

aikjones New Member

Car:
    C180 CGI EX 2010
    Hello folks,
    Can someone tell me if my version is up to date?
    It's a C180 Blue-CY Exec SE CGI 2010, picked it up late last year and was told it was serviced; am thinking if so, this version should have been updated to the latest (2013) if available.
    Hope someone helps,
    Cheers

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. knighterrant

knighterrant Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2012 Facelift C350 Sport Saloon with M276 petrol engine
    I think you have the NTG4.0 COMAND (not to be confused with the later NTG4.5) and I know that there was a Version 10 out in 2012. AFAIK, that's still the latest version. The updates should have been done free during servicing for the first three years. It may come down to the exact date of the 2013 service in relation to the delivery date - if it was more than 36 months, the update wouldn't have been done. Worth checking out with your dealer though.

1 person likes this.
  10. aikjones

aikjones New Member

Car:
    C180 CGI EX 2010
    Thanks for that info, seems am stuck then. Got lost in Glasgow due to the old maps, but thanks to google maps, I recovered.
    I sure hope there's smthing more recent that 2012 though. Not all of us can update our cars every year.

Sent from my i5s using MBClub UK

11. richard

Car:
    Tried to a V10 update on NTG4.5 in my own car today. Didn't work. Asked for the PIN, entered, and never showed the progress bar.

I will try and get time to do a firmware update to latest firmware tomorrow and then try again.

Richard

12. richard

Car:
    Latest for W204 NTG4 (in W204 and SLS) is 2013 V11.0 - No sign of a newer release yet.

Latest for W212/W207 NTG4 is due very very shortly, and is 2014, probably V9.0 but don't know until I see it.

Richard

1 person likes this.
  13. richard

Car:

No, its just a map update. No one (well, no one expect a few in Mercedes) know what changed between V1 and V2 in the hardware (if anything), but you can't use Star to load the newer firmware on an older system.

Richard

14. aikjones

aikjones New Member

Car:
    C180 CGI EX 2010
    Thanks Richard! I found that info on some website selling the dvd but they are out of stock.
    I got the car on 31st of Aug. 2013 and it was jst 3months short of it's 3rd year of reg. V 9.0 is what was installed, I was told it was serviced before I picked it up. So did they leave out the V 10 update? will I need to pay to get it updated?
    Thanks

15. richard

Car:
    Hi, it was released in September 2013, so (unless workshop had it earlier) you got the correct version.

Yes, after the 3 year free map update you have to pay.

You can get it here: -

Comand APS Map DVD Europe 2013 (V11.0) for NTG4-W204 in C, GLK & SLS Class. | Mercedes Navigation Disks | Comand Online Ltd

Cheers

Richard

ps. Always use genuine disks. If you buy a set of copied disks from someone selling "back up copies" they will claim there has never been an issue, but we've seen a good few NTG4 commands converted to bricks by dodgy map update disks.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. richard

Car:
    I did the firmware update (Telematics 03/2014), and then the map update - now displays the progress bar properly and is happily installing as I type.

I'm pretty sure my dealer did a firmware update at the last service 3 months ago.

Given the need to update the firmware, dealers will be even less chuffed to install this map update as it will take up a workshop bay and voltage-stable-charger for 4 hours.

Richard

17. OP
    OP
    chrisdean

Car:
    So a dealer whom I've never done business with, let alone bought the car from, wont be bending over backwards to update my system as there's nothing in it for them? So I'll just have to go prepared and demonstrate to them my entitlement. Regarding Mercedes 3 year promise, then they will have to give me the telematics update in order to facilitate the map update to honour their promise?

18. richard

Car:
    You will have no issue with most dealers. We've just (on this forum) seen a few dealers who were hesitant (or perhaps clueless).

I'd just take it in and say "I've been told the new map (Version 10) is available, please update my car under the free-map-update program". I'd also suggest that you know someone who needed a firmware update to install the new map just so if they get the same as me it is a no-brainer - just in case they haven't seen that before. (The issue I had may not be on all firmware versions etc)

PS. My map install happily completed.

19. aikjones

aikjones New Member

Car:
    C180 CGI EX 2010
    Hey thanks Richard for ur replies,
    I got ya on the v11 website, already contacted them about it.
    But what I was inquiring was since I bought the car 3months shy of it's 3rd year, and since it had only v.9 while v.10 was already In the market, can't I claim they missed updating it? Don't wana spend £170 and then find out I could have done it free from them.

20. richard

Car:
    Given the September release, I think they updated it as they said at the service to the latest version. And as you didn't go back and ask before the end of its 3rd year, thats that.
    R

1 person likes this.