COMAND - A New User's View

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
I know that the COMAND vs portable Sat Nav debate has been had a few times, but until my wife’s new SLK 350 which is fitted with the latest (i.e. HDD) COMAND arrived I couldn’t really add much to the debate other than comment that circa £2k is lots of money these days for a navigation device. So, here are some musings from someone who has been a “power” automotive GPS user for the last four years having now had the opportunity to use COMAND in anger.

First thing is that as others have said before, COMAND is more than just a navigation device and I must say that the Music Register, SD Card facility and six-disc DVD changer are all pretty slick in operation. I would say however that the speed of copying mp3’s from an SD Card to the Music Register is p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l-y s-l-o-w (around 45 mins for 1.8GB) and that the 4GB of usable memory is mean when memory is so cheap, but once the music is copied it all works fine and avoids the need to keep discs in the car. I haven’t tried the Multimedia Interface as I don’t have an iPod, but I do think that having to spend another £60 on a cable set to allow connection of said iPod or a USB stick is penny pinching. So, onto the navigation system. I must say that some of it is very impressive: The displays (especially the split screen when approaching a junction) are a model of clarity; the route calculation speed is very fast; the dead reckoning feature is great when satellite visibility is against you; the TMC implementation is good and the integration with the instrument cluster is excellent. However…

I may have missed something in the voluminous instruction manual, but the inability to define multiple via points (“Stopovers” in COMAND terminology) is a serious omission as it makes the manual tuning of a route essentially impossible. It’s OK if you just want the quickest or shortest route to a destination, but useless if you want to use the navigation technology to work as a talking roadbook to guide you on a particular predefined route. Even the most basic portable Sat Nav devices allow you to set multiple via points, and most will automatically re-order them for you to provide an overall quickest or shortest route through all the via’s to the destination. COMAND’s lack of ability to store a predefined route is a further handicap which relegates its navigation functionality in these respects to weaker than that of a sub £150 portable device.

Another irritation is that the annunciation of turn instructions is purely distance based rather than the much more useful time and distance based voice guidance on Garmin’s devices. Frankly, the annunciation “Prepare to turn left/right” a mile before the turn when travelling at low speed in town is an unnecessary distraction as it can easily occur 3 minutes before you need it. Contrast this with Garmin’s implementation that gives you the equivalent instruction at an appropriate (and variable) distance before the turn, based upon current speed, and you’ll see what I mean.

I know that this topic has been done to death, but the inability to define Proximity Alerts (for SpeedCams) is another major drawback. I know that some countries prohibit the use of GPS-based SpeedCam alerts, but most don’t. Bearing in mind that COMAND “knows” what country it’s in at any given time – knowing the current location is, after all, a primary function of a GPS Receiver – it would be incredibly easy to disable the functionality automatically for countries in which the technology is illegal, so there’s really no obstacle to including it.

But enough of the moans, back to the good bits. The Linguatronic system, far from being a gimmick, is really useful and allows the driver to interact with the car’s systems without losing focus on the primary task of driving. It’s a bit like asking a passenger to change the radio station or select a different CD, or enter a destination into the Sat Nav. Give the instruction and it all happens as if by magic. Being able to just get out of the car when you stop rather than having to disconnect & lock away a portable GPSR is a liberating experience, and one of the by-products of COMAND being so well integrated with the car.

So there you have it. COMAND is, in my view, a 21st-century Curate’s Egg: wonderful in some ways but seriously lacking in others. The infuriating thing is that it would be so easy to fix the bad bits and make it a truly superb all round solution befitting its price tag.

How far in advance one gets turn instruction can be changed, at least in the previous version COMAND-APS

I drove a new CLS recently with the same version of COMAND as you have tested and would agree with all that you said for those functions that I used - I never tried the SD slot.

The one most irritating feature of the guidance system for me is the insistence on telling me 3 times to continue ahead when passing motorway junctions that I had no intention of using. I can't recall if the newer version is any dfferent to that in my W220

Roughly as follows:

1 'Prepare to continue straight ahead' - How the hell do I prepare to do bugger all?

2 Continue ahead - I bloody am!

3 Follow the M4 - That's what I intended, you started this!

Becuase of this I miss large chunks of the news or weather or a rare radio play of a long forgotten favourite song.

Easy to moan about something which is so brilliant isn't it?

I couldn't imagine navigating strange towns and cities (which I do daily) without the benefitof satnav, I even carry my old tomtom in case comand fails to locate my destination.

1 'Prepare to continue straight ahead' - How the hell do I prepare to do bugger all?
The original comand units do this as well! "Prepare to keep straight on" is a hilarious instruction, I forget where I regularly hear it but I just naturally ignore it now.

I heard a new one recently as well (after 7 years of use): "Your destination is located on a street with NO access". Awesome, so where do I go when I get there then? :)

Pull the linguatronic lever and swear at it and wait for her to say pardon:D

Lynall

Hows the Comand unit on new C class models ? Is it faster than old models ? Any ideas ?

How far in advance one gets turn instruction can be changed, at least in the previous version COMAND-APS

I didn't know that. :doh:

The via function on the one that you and I have is a real pain.

Is the newer (HDD) one any better at actually having the streets in its index?
I would say literally 50% of the time I use mine, the street I input isn't in the index, yet it's there if I navigate to it on the map. But that requires me to know where the place is, which kinda defeats the object!

Is the newer (HDD) one any better at actually having the streets in its index?
I would say literally 50% of the time I use mine, the street I input isn't in the index, yet it's there if I navigate to it on the map. But that requires me to know where the place is, which kinda defeats the object!

What version of map disc are you using - I think the indexing was (one of) the problem on versions around 8 and 9. Version 10 made that much better. Certainly I haven't found that since I upgraded - although it may be because I manually located them previously and stored them in the memory :rolleyes:

What version of map disc are you using -
V6.3

I considered V10 but then someone posted recently that it's barely different. COMAND "lifts" the car when people get in and see it, but I'd be so devastated if I'd paid for it (bought my car used and it had COMAND).

We have a TomTom in the house and that's brilliant in so many ways but I think their hardware side will get wiped out by 'phones that will do navigation. TomTom is out as an iPhone app any day now.

Retrofitted new NTG2.5 comand to my A class today. Seven digit postcode input, built in bluetooth, linguatronic plus a DVD changer all in one head unit! Brilliant. Might even install the media interface one day:cool:

Next up - Mercedes TV......

Retrofitted new NTG2.5 comand to my A class today. Seven digit postcode input, built in bluetooth, linguatronic plus a DVD changer all in one head unit! Brilliant. Might even install the media interface one day:cool:

:p:ban::D:D

I would say however that the speed of copying mp3’s from an SD Card to the Music Register is p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l-y s-l-o-w (around 45 mins for 1.8GB) and that the 4GB of usable memory is mean when memory is so cheap,...

I guess this is because of the complaints on using the old-fashioned PCMCIA interface on previous hard drive models. The memory card on a PCMCIA adapter can be a high speed SD HC card or an extremely high speed CF card, where the speed is mainly helping to browse folders because there is no need to copy the content to the hard drive (pre-face lift W221 does not even have a music register on the hard drive), a 16 GB card holds more music than this Comand music register and it is easy to swap cards for more music.

Luckily MB went back to this "old fashioned" interface.

anything like this available for the W203 ???

I guess this is because of the complaints on using the old-fashioned PCMCIA interface on previous hard drive models. The memory card on a PCMCIA adapter can be a high speed SD HC card or an extremely high speed CF card, where the speed is mainly helping to browse folders because there is no need to copy the content to the hard drive (pre-face lift W221 does not even have a music register on the hard drive), a 16 GB card holds more music than this Comand music register and it is easy to swap cards for more music.

Luckily MB went back to this "old fashioned" interface.

Sorry to bump such an old post, but do you mean that I can have a SD card with 16GB of music on it. Stick it in a PCMCIA adaptor, and browse, and play the music straight from the card, without having to copy to the register ?

I have COMAND in a W204 C250CDI if it makes any difference.

andyjenkins:
I have a COMAND with SD slot but can't get more that 2GB SD cards recognised. I did try a 4GB card and it could find nothing on it. I copied the same data to a 2GB card and it was read first time.

st13phil:
Given that the hard disk is 40GB or so and that a 60GB or 80GB would have cost very little more it is a bit of a shame you only get 4GB. I also got the iPod cable for £45 and this gives me access to my 60GB iPod which provides almost endless entertainment.

Sorry to bump such an old post, but do you mean that I can have a SD card with 16GB of music on it. Stick it in a PCMCIA adaptor, and browse, and play the music straight from the card, without having to copy to the register ?

I have COMAND in a W204 C250CDI if it makes any difference.

So I popped to PCWorld, picked up a 16GB SDHC card for £40. Popped over o Maplin, picked up a SD PCMCIA card for £20.

Got home, copied a few .mp3's onto the SDHC card. Just to check everything worked OK - I copied the .mp3s to the SDHC when using the PCMCIA card. Plugged the PMCIA card into the Merc - no go. "No media found". I guess this PCMCIA card is not one of the ones that works.

So I copied some .mp3's to a 8GB key I have laying around. Plugged this into the MI in the glove box. Swapped COMAND to USB Drive and the little disc thing just circles and circles and circles.

Cassettes never had this problem.

Try reformatting the SD card using FAT32. It might then work.

Nope, did'nt make any difference. I think its the PCMCIA card. I tried a 2GB card that I have here too - and that just resulted in the "No Media Card" being displayed as well.

Interestingly though, I forgot that I left the USB key in the Media Interface. Went back to try the FAT32 formatted SD card and found that the mp3's on the USB key were working.

I guess it takes a while for COMAND to index whats on the USB key. I'll try a few GB and see how that works.

So you may have inadvertently fixed it :) :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom