COMAND APS: How to connect an external video monitor?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migabc

Car
E220 CDI (W211)
Hello,

Has anybody been able to connect an external video monitor to the 25-pin rear connector of the COMAND APS (Model No.: 6061)?

I'm referring to the 2nd connector on the back of COMAND-APS which is for a rear (aux) screen connection.

The EURO spec COMAND APS unit has 4 connectors on the back:
1 - Green FAKRA - Video Input (only if Video capable)
2 - 25-way D-Type - Rear Screen (only if Video capable)
3 - 3 Way - AUX audio input
4 - Multiway - Power, Ground, Wakeup & MOST fibre plug

Here's the Pin-out for the D25 (Rear Screen) connector:
1 Ubat+ (circuit 30)
3 AUDIO R
4 AUDIO L
6 CAN Low
7 CAN High
8 CVBS (FBAS)
14 Circuit 31
15 AUDIO screening
16 AUDIO ground
20 AUDIO GND CYBS (FBAS) ground
** All other pins are not assigned

I tried to connect pin 8 (CVBS (FBAS)) and 20 (CYBS (FBAS) ground) to an external Sony monitor video input RCA connector (Video Composite signal) but the screen just goes black.

At first I thought I would have to activate this rear screen output on the COMAND using the MB Star Diagnosis computer so I asked an MB dealer to activate it for me (Menu - Rear Entertainment). But still no luck, all I get is a black screen when the DVD starts playing (when anything else is playing other than the DVD the external screen stays blue)

Has anybody tried this?
Any idea why it doesn't work?
Can it be that this 25-pin connector only works for the Mercedes’ OEM rear screen which probably makes use of the other signals (CAN Low and Can High)?

I really appreciate anybodies’ help on this.

Thanks,
migabc

migabc said:
Hello,

Has anybody been able to connect an external video monitor to the 25-pin rear connector of the COMAND APS (Model No.: 6061)?

I'm referring to the 2nd connector on the back of COMAND-APS which is for a rear (aux) screen connection.

1 Ubat+ (circuit 30)
3 AUDIO R
4 AUDIO L
6 CAN Low
7 CAN High
8 CVBS (FBAS)
14 Circuit 31
15 AUDIO screening
16 AUDIO ground

I tried to connect pin 8 (CVBS (FBAS)) and 20 (CYBS (FBAS) ground) to an external Sony monitor video input RCA connector (Video Composite signal) but the screen just goes black.

At first I thought I would have to activate this rear screen output on the COMAND using the MB Star Diagnosis computer so I asked an MB dealer to activate it for me (Menu - Rear Entertainment). But still no luck, all I get is a black screen when the DVD starts playing (when anything else is playing other than the DVD the external screen stays blue)

Has anybody tried this?
Can it be that this 25-pin connector only works for the Mercedes’ OEM rear screen which probably makes use of the other signals (CAN Low and Can High)?

Thanks,
migabc

As stated by myself and MBENZNL ..... it cant be done without an engineered CANbus solution and the correct signal rate to the monitor in question.

Does anybody know how these guys did it (see 1st picture)?
C:\Documents and Settings\maconceicao\Desktop\211screens03.jpg

These aftermarket screens are much better looking than the one offered by Mercedes (2nd and 3rd pictures)
C:\Documents and Settings\maconceicao\Desktop\normal_PICT0010.jpg

C:\Documents and Settings\maconceicao\Desktop\normal_PICT0032.jpg

Attachments

• 211screens03.jpg
    211screens03.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 258
  • normal_PICT0010.jpg
    normal_PICT0010.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 252
  • normal_PICT0032.jpg
    normal_PICT0032.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
migabc said:
Does anybody know how these guys did it (see 1st picture)?

The first image is from MBENZNL and those fittings are made in NL about 10 minutes from MBENZNL.

For that first solution you need a DVD device or MPEG4 player. So if you take into consideration that if you want TV in the back seat then it would require a latest model TV tuner.

If I use the TV tuner you've mentioned, will it be possible to have the same DVD picture from the COMAND displayed also on the rear screens?

Thanks,
migabc

migabc said:
If I use the TV tuner you've mentioned, will it be possible to have the same DVD picture from the COMAND displayed also on the rear screens?

Thanks,
migabc

If you use a stand-alone DVD player with the latest Digital TV tuner for E-Class then you can have front and rear DVD - or rear DVD that is different to front DVD.

Thanks.

Can I connect a stand-alone DVD player directly to the Green FAKRA connector (Video Input)? Or does the TV tuner have to be connected in between the stand-alone DVD player and the COMAND for this to work.

The Green FAKRA connector is just for Video Input (FBAS), right? Where do you connect the audio?

Thanks,
Miguel

migabc said:
Thanks.

Can I connect a stand-alone DVD player directly to the Green FAKRA connector (Video Input)? Or does the TV tuner have to be connected in between the stand-alone DVD player and the COMAND for this to work.

The Green FAKRA connector is just for Video Input (FBAS), right? Where do you connect the audio?

Thanks,
Miguel

Sound input is through optical cable.

Sorry for all these questions but I'm stll a newbie on this stuff.

My COMAND APS unit (Model No.: 6061) only has 2 fibre cables (MOST IN / OUT) connected to it on connector 4:

Here are the pinouts for connectors 3 and 4:

Connector 3:
1 Low frequency R
2 Screening
3 Low frequency L

Connector 4:
1 Circuit 30
2 Circuit 31
3 Wake up
4 Not assigned
R MOST receiver IN
T MOST transmitter OUT

I believe the MOST fibers are used to connect the COMAND APS to the Audio-Gateway and NAV system (these are located in the trunk).

miro said:
Sound input is through optical cable.

Do you mean that the audio from the Tv Tuner connects directly to the Audio-Gateway?

Does anyone have the pinouts for the Audio-Gateway (I have Model No.: 6032)?

Does anybody know if its possible to connect a stand-alone DVD player (or any other external Video source) directly to the Green FAKRA connector (Video Input) on the COMAND APS? Or does this input only accept signals from the TV tuner? Do I really need a TV Tuner when all I need is an input for a standard video source (DVD, Video Camera, etc)

Thanks,
migabc

migabc said:
Sorry for all these questions but I'm stll a newbie on this stuff.

My COMAND APS unit (Model No.: 6061) only has 2 fibre cables (MOST IN / OUT) connected to it on connector 4:

Here are the pinouts for connectors 3 and 4:

Connector 3:
1 Low frequency R
2 Screening
3 Low frequency L

Connector 4:
1 Circuit 30
2 Circuit 31
3 Wake up
4 Not assigned
R MOST receiver IN
T MOST transmitter OUT

I believe the MOST fibers are used to connect the COMAND APS to the Audio-Gateway and NAV system (these are located in the trunk).

Do you mean that the audio from the Tv Tuner connects directly to the Audio-Gateway?

Does anyone have the pinouts for the Audio-Gateway (I have Model No.: 6032)?

Does anybody know if its possible to connect a stand-alone DVD player (or any other external Video source) directly to the Green FAKRA connector (Video Input) on the COMAND APS? Or does this input only accept signals from the TV tuner? Do I really need a TV Tuner when all I need is an input for a standard video source (DVD, Video Camera, etc)

Thanks,
migabc

There is no sound function regardless of the pinout, the colour of the connector or whatever else you randomly decide must be the secret to unlock the mystery.

I am quite certain that I am right on this account.

Step A/ Buy the Mercedes rear screen solution
Step B/ Buy a Mercedes TV tuner solution
Step C/ Everyone can now enjoy DVD and TV in the front and rear of car

I hope you enjoy your inferior Mercedes solution which is too expensive.

miro you sound like an MB salesman ;-)
Where's the challenge in that?

Anyway I'm still trying to understand how all these parts fit together, and besides that I currently have no need for a TV tuner.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Hello,

1 Ubat+ (circuit 30)
3 AUDIO R
4 AUDIO L
6 CAN Low
7 CAN High
8 CVBS (FBAS)
14 Circuit 31
15 AUDIO screening
16 AUDIO ground

Has anybody tried this?

Thanks,
migabc

i know it is a while since this tema was up.
and are not sure if anyone have tried this, after searching a while i finaly came up with a place that sells video out adapters for w211.
i`just received my part and are going to try this out.

Kolumbus24

looks good, i look forward to seeing how well it works!

looks good, i look forward to seeing how well it works!

I am not sure how often or active i will be in this forum since i am at one of the norwegian forums, i`ll try to keep it updated with the progress. :)
:bannana:

The problem is on the w211 it is rare to find a video capable unit (one that has the green fakra video input and 25pin connection for rear screen). So the interface is no use unless you already have a video capable unit with the 25pin connection.

COMAND-APS FAQ (NTG1/NTG2)

Last edited:
The problem is on the w211 it is rare to find a video capable unit (one that has the green fakra video input and 25pin connection for rear screen). So the interface is no use unless you already have a video capable unit with the 25pin connection.

COMAND-APS FAQ (NTG1/NTG2)

yes that is correct. you need the video out 25 pin connection.

But i do belive that if you not have built in you could use something like this get video input for external DVD player.
http://www.acb.no/imu.asp

and then split the signal from this dvd player to 3 sources. if you do use this player: http://www.acb.no/Details.asp?ProductID=1443 it will operate with command buttons together with the IMU interface

Last edited:
Cutting

What about the fitting of the DVD screens do any of you have pictures ? Is it just cutting hole with a knife ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom