comand-aps map 6.1 TMC traffic on wrong side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richard

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
MY04 SL55
I remember some posts about traffic jams being shown on wrong side of the wrong on the 6.1 TMC disk for Comand-APS on A/B/C/CLK/ML/GL/Smart-for-four ..

I'm 99% sure mine was like that initially - did anyone else remember that.

Well, now jams are shown on the correct side for me - the only thing that has changed is that the Audio Gateway (AGW) - which is inside comand on the above models - had a flash upgrade.

So if yours is wrong, its worth asking dealer to flash update the AGW (the new software was available from march or so on Star Diagnosis)

R

(Hope i'm not going mad and imagining things ..)

I too remeber the post but mine has always been shown on the correct side of the road. With no updates. My car was picked up last June.

:rolleyes: Apart from the contra flow on the M1:rolleyes:

Do you know if this applies to v5 for E class as well ? The traffic congestion thing is great but mine shows traffic on wrong side as well

It is fine with my wife's SLK which is running Ver 5.1. Her car was new as of March this year so probably has the lastest firmware.

Indciates that a flash upgrade may sort it for you.

pilotc182 said:
Do you know if this applies to v5 for E class as well ? The traffic congestion thing is great but mine shows traffic on wrong side as well

I suspect its quite likely - why don't you take the car to the dealer (as its under warranty) and tell him its on the wrong side and you;ve been told the AGW may need flashing .. should take 30 mins to do ..
(Then please let us know what happens !!)

Cheers
Richard

Version 6.2 now available

I've the last version of the Nav DVD (for C/A/CLK/smart Forfour).
It holds the 6.2 number.
May be it fixes the bug.
I can't check, because the TMC feature is not operational in France.

I saw this "Wrong side of the road" issue come up on the forum in another thread before I got my 5.1 DVD for E Class.

Well, now I have the DVD, the traffic certainly looks like it is on the wrong side. I probably need to check further, but here is what I have concluded so far:

The problem appears to be that the traffic icons are assigned to a road segment and placed on the correct side of the road for UK driving but most of the traffic reported is applicable to dual carriageways. When you are zoomed right out on the map, only a single line is drawn and the traffic appears to be incorrectly placed. However, when you zoom in to the point where Comand draws two separate lines - one for each carriageway - then the traffic is correctly placed on the carriageway with the problem. But, instead of placing the icons on the outside of the carriagway, it places them inside, sort of on the central reservation. When zoomed out, this gives the impression that the traffic is on the other side.

I am also struggling with the various symbols and how they are applied to the map. They appear to place a warning symbol at the entrance to the problem segment, rather than at the location of the problem - this makes sense in terms of the segmentation approach but is counter-intuitive to us as humans, we expect to see an acident symbol placed at the location of the accident and then a little queue of stationary cars backing up from there.

Instead, comand places the symbol at the entrance to the conjested segment and then draws car icons along the entire segment to indicate the average speed through that segment. This then reinforces the perception that the incident is reported on the wrong side of the road.

Hope that makes sense!

Philip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom