Comand APS NTG1 from a CLS320 CDI - DVD Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjpbarnes

Car
'06 Mercedes CLS320 CDI
I have recently taken ownership of a mistreated 2006 CLS 320 CDI. Beautiful car, but unfortunately I've uncovered quite a lot of issues (inc. Turbo... - it's been an expensive learning curve!).

I also have some issues inside the motor, and on this topic I wanted to ask for some advice specifically on the Comand APS NTG1 system.

1. The DVD Player - not the changer, but the central main disc slot - any entertainment DVD I try will not play. It says DVD Error or No DVD. The Mercedes Manual DVD however will play, indicating to me there is no issue with the laser? Is it software? Or perhaps entertainment DVDs do not work? In the Engineering Menu, the Region setting is set to Region Free.
  2. Software - I'm currently on the Europe Green Version 4.1 disc. I am getting an upgrade sent out. I have heard this new disc will then also automatically upgrade the APS software?
  3. MP3s - do these work in the changer, or in the DVD slot only? I don't have a Disc drive on my Macbook, so I would have to purchase one with spare discs to even attempt this route. Is it worth doing, or would you stick with the Aux/Phone hook up?
  4. Bluetooth - I am thinking I'll not even bother. I can't believe you have to buy a £300 module to enable Bluetooth. Is there any major benefit to do so? I was thinking the alternative was just use the Aux cable, calls will still go through the speaker, I lose the button functionality on wheel and Contacts on screen though.
  5. Video Input - I read that this unit has a Rear Video Camera interface - has anyone attempted this and if so, was it worth the effort? Does it engage with Reverse gear?

Thanks in advance. Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

I have recently taken ownership of a mistreated 2006 CLS 320 CDI. Beautiful car, but unfortunately I've uncovered quite a lot of issues (inc. Turbo... - it's been an expensive learning curve!).

I also have some issues inside the motor, and on this topic I wanted to ask for some advice specifically on the Comand APS NTG1 system.

1. The DVD Player - not the changer, but the central main disc slot - any entertainment DVD I try will not play. It says DVD Error or No DVD. The Mercedes Manual DVD however will play, indicating to me there is no issue with the laser? Is it software? Or perhaps entertainment DVDs do not work? In the Engineering Menu, the Region setting is set to Region Free.
  2. Software - I'm currently on the Europe Green Version 4.1 disc. I am getting an upgrade sent out. I have heard this new disc will then also automatically upgrade the APS software?
  3. MP3s - do these work in the changer, or in the DVD slot only? I don't have a Disc drive on my Macbook, so I would have to purchase one with spare discs to even attempt this route. Is it worth doing, or would you stick with the Aux/Phone hook up?
  4. Bluetooth - I am thinking I'll not even bother. I can't believe you have to buy a £300 module to enable Bluetooth. Is there any major benefit to do so? I was thinking the alternative was just use the Aux cable, calls will still go through the speaker, I lose the button functionality on wheel and Contacts on screen though.
  5. Video Input - I read that this unit has a Rear Video Camera interface - has anyone attempted this and if so, was it worth the effort? Does it engage with Reverse gear?

Thanks in advance. Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

hopefully this helps;

1). suspect the system has been fiddled with because this should be region 2. Have your tried a genuine disk or a copy?

2). Latest disk is V17 and does not update the APS firmware. It will load a small update on the nav drive but you wont notice any difference in look and feel.

3). Might do. all depends on the exact model of the changer and if the headunit firmware has been applied to the display system.

4). Using AUX means you will need to switch to AUX input mode whenever a call comes in. Plus it will rely upon the phones microphone. If £300 is too much then look for a second hand Mercedes HFP cradle (assuming you have the UHI contact plate in the armrest).

5). You may have a video input on the rear but its unlikely unless your car has TV fitted. In any event the system will not support a reverse camera.

I think the MB bluetooth module is worth it for the headunit integration but wouldn't pay that much for one. They used to regularly go for £80-90 on ebay but a quick look suggests people are rather more optimistic in their expectations as between £100 and £150 seems commonplace.

If you can get the headunit disc player to work it does a good job reading mp3s from a dvd-r so more than enough storage to ditch your cd changer and replace it with the far more useful cubby hole which still has the push button opening. Around £15 for the bits from your dealer, which from memory was just the cubby itself, which slots directly in place of the changer, and the connector for the fibre optic cables.

The HFP modules normally sell for around £100 on eBay and it's sometimes worth checking with your local dealer because they may have a deal on, I once paid £140 for one from them.

MP3s
- do these work in the changer, or in the DVD slot only? I don't have a Disc drive on my Macbook, so I would have to purchase one with spare discs to even attempt this route. Is it worth doing, or would you stick with the Aux/Phone hook up?
Bluetooth
- I am thinking I'll not even bother. I can't believe you have to buy a £300 module to enable Bluetooth. Is there any major benefit to do so? I was thinking the alternative was just use the Aux cable, calls will still go through the speaker, I lose the button functionality on wheel and Contacts on screen though.

I have a 2009 E320 with NTG1 which I expect would be almost if not identical to yours. My car also has per wiring for a phone, it had the connector in the arm rest not sure which flavor of connector though.

MP3s - not sure not tried that but connecting my phone to the Aux socket (roof of glove box on the E320) works well. I picked up a short 30cm 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack lead off ebay for .99p as noted works well and no long tangled wires to contend with.

Phone - So I'd got the factory pre-wiring and the arm rest connector but I didn't have £100-£300 for a Bluetooth kit. Solution checked out what phones they did cradles for, found an old Nokia 6020 and unlocked that for free (found out how to do that through Google, all legit and dead easy) got the appropriate cradle (genuine Mercedes part) off ebay for £23. Popped a GiffGaff SIM in the phone, put £10 PAYG credit on the SIM. OK its not my regular phone number but it works just like it should, integrates with the car dash perfectly and it was cheap.

Hope your issues are behind you and you can start enjoying the car.

Thanks for the replies everyone, and sorry for my delayed reply. Had a move of house/country and onto a 2nd turbo in 3 weeks, so the trouble continues for a while! Entertainment is suddenly to the bottom of the priority list!

That said, the upgrade disc worked well for the Maps, installed in about 30mins from what I remember. It didn't make any change to the head unit software though. I will try to install this software below once I get my hands on a CD read/writer!

Daimler AG - Service & Parts net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom