Comand APS NTG2.5 version

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flowrider

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL500 (R230) / Audi S5
I am trying to determine what firmware version my Comand NTG2.5 is and what map version is loaded. I have looked online but the numbering format in my ML does not seem to match.

Thanks

David

See also:

Attachments

• CO.jpg
    CO.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 358
My display says...........

Navi Database NAVTEQ BFDB0092
HDD Contents 0.084.2301
DVD Firmware 1.730

David

Last edited:
Why don't you post a pic of the engineering menu screen here so that we can see what it says?

Well, I suspect it is older than v3.0, as it would have the version digit first... the firmware version (1.730) sounds about right for the older firmware.

That's from Erst mal ein gutes neues 2011. Dann 2 Fragen : Mercedes E-Klasse W211 :

Code:
Version HDD Contents Navi-Database
1.0 ??? ???
1.1 ??? ???
2.0 ??? ???
3.0 3.005.2301 NTG2.5eu-Vol5.0
4.1 4.004.2301 NTG2.5eu-Vol4.1
5.0 5.001.2301 NTG2.5eu-Vol3.0
6.0 6.002.2301 NTG2.5eu-Vol3.0

(v6.0 is my addition)

Last edited:
If your planning to upgrade to the latest maps you will need the Jan 2010 firmware update first before it will let you install the maps.

If your planning to upgrade to the latest maps you will need the Jan 2010 firmware update first before it will let you install the maps.

Which I understand is a free upgrade from a MB service centre or am I wrong.

David

Depends on if your ML is still under warranty or not.

Last edited:
Which I understand is a free upgrade from a MB service centre or am I wrong.

David

If you wander in and say the AUX volume is very low and sometimes it doesnt seem to calculate the correct route then they should (possibly) do it for free as these are both known bugs fixed by the latest firmware ;)

I've ordered an update for the navigation maps so I will have to contact MB now as I think, from what I have read, the update wont work without the latest firmware so there's my reason to get the upgrade under warranty.

David

A follow up to the above posts............

I now have my navigation DVD update but as expected it doesn't work as I need the firmware update doing. I contacted my local(ish) MB dealership who were very reluctant to do the upgrade under warranty stating that software upgrades are exempt from the warranty. I quoted the TIPS document to them and they said they would look into it.

In the meantime I opened a can of worms by contacting Mercedes Benz Customer Services in Milton Keynes to ask for advice / clarification. They were less than impressed that I had bought the update DVD from a MB dealership based in Germany. The rep stated that I should not have been able to buy the DVD update outside of the UK and the German dealer should not have sent it to me either. I only told them this because they wanted clarification that I had genuine MB DVD's and wanted to see proof before they would discuss anything with me. I didn't have the reciept with me and I haven't called them back. Basically I got no help there.

My local MB dealer called me back to say they would do the upgrade under warranty based on the TIPS document even though the product code for the latest DVD update is not on the TIPS document however they are insisting I leave the car with them all day and will not provide a courtesy car or arrange to collect my car so I have a long wait ahead of me sitting in the dealers hospitality area.

David

Further update......

My ML was in the workshop today for the firmware update but after 3 attempts it was still failing. I have had to book it in again next week for further investigation.

I am puzzled though as the workshop said they tried 3 times in the space of an hour getting half way each time before the failure, I thought the update took a couple of hours so 3 attempts should be 3 hours not 1 hour. I hope they know what they are doing!

David

It recently took my local dealer TWO days to get the firmware upgrade installed on my NTG2.5 - all fine eventually though and done at no charge.

NTG2.5 firmware update takes about an hour. I say "about" because the process updates everything on the fibre-optic network, so if you have lots of devices that have old firmware they all get updated too.
However, if the map in the car is before a certain version, then the map needs to be updated to that version first, then firmware update, then new map installed. So this can take a long while.
People with genuine star-diagnosis all got send a set of map disks for doing the process above (a long time ago) but I can't remember what version they were (and they are at work so can't check now)

R

RIchard

Finally after being in the MB garage for 2 days the firmware and map upgrade is done but............the navigation fader still doesn't work even though the option is ticked.

David

Last edited:
Had a coffee and croissant at the coffee shop across the street from Alfie and Richard's shop while they upgraded the maps, then checked my emails to pass the time... it took them about two hours just as they said it would, they got it right first time, all working, including the fader. :thumb:

OK, OK, not rubbing it in.... I'm sure that MB will get it right next time and sort this out for you.

I updated the firmware on an NTG 2.5 unit on an ML. It took 2 hours and 20 minutes as it updated the media interface as well. It could take 3 hrs to update the map data on some cars as well. It ties up the star machine for ages to do the firmware so it depends how may stars the dealers have and how busy they are so many might not be too keen to do it without a good reason.

NTG2.5 firmware update takes about an hour. I say "about" because the process updates everything on the fibre-optic network, so if you have lots of devices that have old firmware they all get updated too.
However, if the map in the car is before a certain version, then the map needs to be updated to that version first, then firmware update, then new map installed. So this can take a long while.
People with genuine star-diagnosis all got send a set of map disks for doing the process above (a long time ago) but I can't remember what version they were (and they are at work so can't check now)

R

RIchard

My son is buying the latest map update for my NTG1 (03 w211 e320). FOR xmas. At the moment it's got H.K version 4.0 Will I need to do anything other than swap the disc in the boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom