Comand Bluetooth & Blackberry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddie Clark

Car
Mercedes CL500
Can anybody help with getting a Blackberry 8310 working with the Camand APS please.

What bluetooth puck you using?

Mine works fine with the cheaper black bluetooth connector. Just click on search, blue light flashes, pair it up enter the standard code, and in the blackberry menu, set it to auto connect, i.e not having to confirm each time.

Just asking as they don't work well (if at all) with the SAP (SLR) puck

I'm sorry I do not know what a "puck" is?

Its the bluetooth module that sits in the cradle in place of the phone. Usually in the centre armrest?

What I don't understand is that the Camand Aps is synced with my Blackberry through a device shown as UHI-SN8010. This would surely indicate that these two devices are working with one another, so why do you need a "Puck". Just inquisitive as it doesn't really make sense.

What is the "cheaper bluetooth conector" please

You can get either the blackberry-specific cradle. For £166.00 retail

0003284E.jpg

Or the bluetooth "puck" (HFP) for £270.00 Retail.

000186B6.jpg

Both of these do require the car to have the option of MB telephone pre-wire. There will be a small plug in the armrest for the cradle to plug into.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is that the Camand Aps is synced with my Blackberry through a device shown as UHI-SN8010. This would surely indicate that these two devices are working with one another, so why do you need a "Puck". Just inquisitive as it doesn't really make sense.

That sounds like the bluetooth device built into comand that doesnt really do a whole bunch. Check for the telephone connector in the centre armrest and come back to us.

You will have one of 3 things.

1) nothing and thus you don't have telephone prewire
2) a black frame with gold connectors on the bottom and an aerial coupler on the top.

3) a small black connector with nothing attached.

If your not sure , take a picture and we can help. Im assuming its the previous generation CL500 you have. Your centre armrest should be in two parts , the smaller of the sections should open up and reveal all :)

I had a C320 with comand APS.. there were no connectors anywhere but the bluetooth worked from the unit itself.. It paired with my nokia no problems...

W204 and later MBs have in-built BT HF support at their head units. On older ones, like mine and yours, the in-built BT support for the head unit comes from the UHI phone control unit. My understanding is that the lack of BT HF profile support there has been an MB decision "not to allow phones in the car if not connected to the external antenna". Sort of safety issue although absolutely marginal and now they have had to accept the market pressure anyway.

They could have released a SW update for UHI controller but MB policy seems to be that the car features are not changed afterwards even if later models got enhancements through SW updates. Only minor exceptions exist. A pity, I don't see this boosting the sales of new cars. One would not change the car to a new one just to get BT HF support from the head unit. On the contrary, if you know the car you buy will improve on par with later MY cars of the same model, that would encourage you to buy one.

And, in fact, they stopped putting the Bluetooth hardware in the UHI controller about 18 months ago at all. The UHI controllers with the BT hardware are (a) more expensive and (b) have a extra fakra to connect to a bluetooth antenna.

As DieselBenz says, its a shame they didnt release a UHI controller with bluetooth HFP profile in it, or offer a software upgrade for them (although flashing the UHI controller needs a special adapter that replaces the cradle during the flash process)

I havent yet looked how the comfort phone option works on MY2009 cars (the ones with BT HFP in the head unit).
On MY2008 and before, except the W204 (and again I havent checked the W221/W216), its done with the UHI controller on the fibre optic bus. On W204 the UHI connector plate only has power connection and an 'audio on' signal, it talks bluetooth back to the head unit !

Richard

I havent yet looked how the comfort phone option works on MY2009 cars (the ones with BT HFP in the head unit).
On MY2008 and before, except the W204 (and again I havent checked the W221/W216), its done with the UHI controller on the fibre optic bus. On W204 the UHI connector plate only has power connection and an 'audio on' signal, it talks bluetooth back to the head unit !

Richard

The W204 info was pretty interesting, I had not noticed this, never thought it would have been this different from the old approach. I guess the phone cradle adapters are a bit expensive then. This must be the reason why the BT SAP adapter is different for the W204 model from the older ones? This link is more for other readers :)
http://www.mercupgrades.com/Mercedes+UHI+and+MHI+Phone+Cradles-article-9.html

Retrofitting the 386 set should then be pretty straightforward, specifically when using a similar antenna as I've seen on some of the Comand Online kits (I've used one of those myself too).

I had been wondering what happens to the BT HF option in a W204 with the 386 kit but this seems to explain it all, the BT HF option remains as the SAP cradle too is using that (if I got it right).

I wonder if my new toy then works on a W204 too:

Last edited:
Diesel Benz, yes retrofitting comfort telephony on a W204 shouldnt be too problematic. Perhaps unsurprisingly I have all the bits on my bench, but I have to document the install, and I have to work out which connection on the SAM it goes to.

The SAP cradle I beleived (may well be wrong) was the same on all cars, starting with A204 - but that replaced a Bxxxxxx part number, and it may be the Bxxxx part number did not work in the W204. There are 2 SAP adapters with handsets, but that is a size thing (the handset cable comes out different sides of the box for the 2 different versions)

The HFP is not supported in the W204, and the MBU2000 does not work in there, but I beleive a fix is very shortly to be available for the MBU2000 - which should provide signficantly better address book download functionality as a result

R

Has anyone managed to successfully pair their blackberry with a sap v2 puck? Just changed from a Nokia to bold 9700 and am struggling like mad to get it to pair up.

For info I have an 09 CLS with the new comand unit

Last edited:
Has anyone managed to successfully pair their blackberry with a sap v2 puck? Just changed from a Nokia to bold 9700 and am struggling like mad to get it to pair up.

For info I have an 09 CLS with the new comand unit

I have never had any luck pairing anything other than a Nokia SAP phone to a V2 SAP cradle. The Blackberry is supported on the SAP V3 and would probably pair with the integrated bluetooth in your new comand unit in which case you wouldnt need the SAP V2 at all.

Hope this helps,

Alfie

Thanks, you're a genius. I've had this car since April and transferred the sap puck from my old cls assuming that's what i needed to do. I've just unplugged it and paired up the blackberry with the inbuilt bluetooth that I never knew I had.

Thanks!!

I now have a spare sap 2 for ebay!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom