Comand does not stay powered up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rhjcamp

Car
R-Class, & R171
Hi,
Looking for some help please on my Comand ntg 2.0 unit fitted to my R Class w251 2007 plate.

Been having a few problems with the battery on and off for the last few months, and then drove 500 miles to go skiing in france. 2 Days later the engine only JUST started, next day after driving 100 miles needed a jump start just to get the starter to turn, i.e. there was not quite enough current to turn the starter. Then drove home and it stopped and started okay for the eurotunnel....

So, got home this morning, decided a new battery (halfords, expensive, but needed the car to work tomorrow) was in order, brought and fitted (had to take the drivers seat out, WHY do they fit it in such a stupid position), all seems okay....

Except that the comand unit is behaving a little strange...

So, turn the car on, the comand unit powers up, plays the first radio channel, but all the keys on the unit DO NOT work, i.e. can't change to cd, flip to nav, map or turn it on/off etc. The steering wheel keys do work, so you can change radio station, volume and use the phone.

Then after a few minutes it seems to reset itself, i.e. it turns itself off, and then back one to the first radio station at default volume level.

What I think is happening is that it is expecting to see a certain set of devices on the MOST ring, but that one is missing or not responding and it is therefore reseting the ring to find it?

So does this sound sensible, and does anybody know how I find out what devices it is expecting/can't find?

As an aside, I have checked the lights on the CD changer, the phone is working as it is paired and appears in the Comand unit display, and it can see the steering wheel as they buttons work. Is there anything else on the MOST bus?

One other strange thing happened. When I reconnected the new battery, the time went back to midnight, then about 5 minutes and two or three restarts later it set the time correctly. Also, the cd changer went through every disc re-checking that they existed.

One other thing to notes is that I have a Denison gateway 500 fitted, but that is currently switched to passive mode, i.e. it is turned off and everything is going to the CD changer on the MOST ring. I have used the reset button on this device to re-boot it in case this was causing the issue.

Anyway, any help greatly received.

Rob.

Id pull out the fuse for the COMAND for a few minutes, and then put it back. I can't remember where the fusemap is on an R class though, possibly with the fusebox at the end of the dashboard (under the panel at one end)

Cheers

Richard

Thanks, I know where that is, in the boot. I'll give it a go this morning. Thanks Richard.

Okay, tried pulling the main fuse out (Think it is a 15amp, or was it 25, can't remember) comand definietly died. Anyway, pushed fuse back in, and still have the same problem. Having re-read your reply you use the words minutes. I waited for about 30-45 seconds so I will re-try this afternoon. I read the mbupgrade faq on Comand, and that does imply that I have a 'missing' MOST device.

okay, got home, wife been using the car, and it is now working! So no idea why, but I am a happy man....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom